Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial Itallic D Mainz Helmet
Smile 
Hi All

After a bit of information and help. I'm after photos of the original Brass appliqué plates on the Itallic D Mainz helmet or in fact any dimensions or details about the original find.

Also apart from the Deepeeka model are their any craftsmen who do a decent version of the helmet which doesn't cost a kings ransom.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance   Wink
Come on chaps don't let me down ……..
Photo 
I found an interesting new imperial italic D helmet of which survive only  bronze appliques; very similar to Mainz exemplar.

This helmet was found in Leiden and from 4 september 2018 is exposed in a new permanent ehxibition in Rijksmuseum van Oudheden.

[Image: 734-81247-3008181523-PERSFOTO_Romeinse_h...OLarge.jpg]
I have seen and photographed all the individual parts of this helmet, before restauration.

First off,  it is not one helmet, but there are at least two.
For exemple there were two bronze neckplates.  As well as a decorative bronze eyebrow that was not used in the restoration

So we might be looking at the remains a helmet hoard, or perhaps a collection of scrap metal from various helmets. 

Within a few months the pictures of the individual parts  will be available via www.portable-antiquities.nl
Thank you very much Trottlesnot for these important informations!!!
Perhaps, do you know the archaeological context (place, chronology and other informations) within the hoard was found?

best regards
(01-14-2020, 07:07 PM)ciro Wrote: Thank you very much Trottlesnot for these important informations!!!
Perhaps, do you know the archaeological context (place, chronology and other informations) within the hoard was found?

best regards

Archaeological context is a bit unclear.

The official story is that it was found in a  heap of sand coming from construction work on the A4 high way near Leiden, where the highway crosses the Rhine, not too far from the fortress of Matilo. That is was found in sand is probably an indication the helmet (parts) is coming from the Rhine bed.  

However, quite a few people are a bit sceptical about this story.

btw here are a few of the photo's i took.

as you can see, there are two different neckplates.  
On some pieces there are large blobs of solder  (evidence of heating and disassembly?)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-16-2020, 11:12 AM)trottlesnot Wrote: btw here are a few of the photo's i took.

as you can see, there are two different neckplates.  
On some pieces there are large blobs of solder  (evidence of heating and disassembly?)
Hi, i don't know why but the photos don't appear in your post. i only read [attachment=15117][attachment=15120][attachment=15119][attachment=15118][attachment=15117][attachment=15116]

However, it's a important loss of informations when these artifacts are digged without archaeological methods.
thank you for your time. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Gallic G 4 (Mainz) Folkert van Wijk 24 4,532 06-04-2008, 06:45 AM
Last Post: jho