Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Identification and Location
Photo 
I am looking for information on this sword.  What type is it?  Year era?  And where is it now?
If anyone has information on it I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.

(08-30-2019, 02:58 AM)Pointer Wrote: I am looking for information on this sword.  What type is it?  Year era?  And where is it now?
If anyone has information on it I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.

My guess would be its 3rd century AD, dont think thats the full sword blade possible a moorfund? otherwise I cant help, broadly similar objects (blade pommel scabbard furniture) have come out of Illerup, see: "Illerup Adal, Die Schwerter" vol 11-12 German text heavily illustrated and the best books of their kind that I know off, a mine of info.
The Illerup finds are currently in the Moesgaard Museum outside Arhus Denmark, last time I looked, though I dont think this sword and scabbard is part of that.

Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Patrick it is in Miks page 772 - A665-2 page Tafel 270. It is in the Silistra Museum Bulgaria 
https://bulgariatravel.org/en/object/142...750/25.380
Lauriacum - Hromowka type.
Photo from museum

Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
(08-30-2019, 08:30 AM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Patrick it is in Miks page 772 - A665-2 page Tafel 270. It is in the Silistra Museum Bulgaria 
https://bulgariatravel.org/en/object/142...750/25.380
Lauriacum - Hromowka type.
Photo from museum

Good one! Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thank you Ivor  Smile I have a good pic in a book but which one Angry Rolleyes but I ❤ Miks great starting point, should have a little black book with page references to finds ect to make finding easy Wink
BTW nice belt also in picture Cool
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
(08-31-2019, 08:01 AM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Thank you Ivor  Smile I have a good pic in a book but which one Angry Rolleyes but I ❤ Miks great starting point, should have a little black book with page references to finds ect to make finding easy Wink

Curious I just opened the page in Illerup "Die Schwerter" (Vol 11) to exactly the "Lauriacum - Hromowka" type (pg 200+), seems there are two swords of this type from Illerup, dating for all the swords listed appears to be for the second half 3rd century AD, not a terribly common type, 2 subtypes with 11 in total 4/7.

I know what you mean about the references its like negotiating a labyrinth!

I'm not convinced though that what were looking at in the images is the same sword? though its pretty clear the scabbard is the same one in both, does it say where it was found in Miks?
Ivor

Ha ha well spotted, I was sure one photo I had showed it with bog finds but Looking at Miks I think there is two of them, First as above A655-2 but also A655-1 Straubing - Nydam but reference to both are Siistra ? So confused Sad
Posted info from book

Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
(08-31-2019, 10:21 AM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Ha ha well spotted, I was sure one photo I had showed it with bog finds but Looking at Miks I think there is two of them, First as above A655-2 but also A655-1 Straubing - Nydam but reference to both are Siistra ? So confused Sad
Posted info from book

I think the first picture request is the A655-1 Straubing - Nydam, or just a really poor pic!.
The museum exhibit pic may be A655-2 Lauriacum - Hromowka, not certain about the scabbard but seems like it may be from the same sword, looks like a reconstruction of the listed components?

From a Mound/Wagon (four Horses, 2 swords) grave not earlier then 276 AD.

Not certain to be sure, but seems likely.
Ivor

Ha found it Smile
eprints.nbu.bg/140/1/the_spatha_[b]from_Durostorum[/b].pdf 
Knew it was in a book, there are plenty drawings using it but no reference Sad
Osprey Roman Legionary 284-337 AD
Hope this helps you Patrick
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
(08-31-2019, 04:38 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Ha found it Smile
eprints.nbu.bg/140/1/the_spatha_[b]from_Durostorum[/b].pdf 
Knew it was in a book, there are plenty drawings using it but no reference Sad
Osprey Roman Legionary 284-337 AD
Hope this helps you Patrick

Good find! gives a lot of details of A655-2 with measurements given for the components for the sword and scabbard in note 2 from that article.

Any how judging by whats included of the find in Miks, the Silista Museum Pic would appear to be many of the main objects mentioned, though sword A655-1 is missing as well as the shield boss, spearheads etc.
As previously mentioned the date would not be earlier then 276 AD based on the Coin of Probus found in the grave, which looks like that of a high status individual with many richly decorated items.

I still think the sword in Pointers pic is A655-1 from Miks, the desciption suggests a badly damaged blade with an "Angelnietkopf" which I take to mean a bar in this case, through which the tang is rivetted.

Is there a drawing in Miks of A655-1 as from the description I think that is the one.
Ivor

Unfortunately Ivor Miks only picture off A655-1 is just the wheel chape off the sword. Which is a very nice one Smile

This should be enough info to go with for now. The scabbard itself is very nice and if I was not so busy, would make myself as a project  Wink
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
(09-01-2019, 02:26 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Unfortunately Ivor Miks only picture off A655-1 is just the wheel chape off the sword. Which is a very nice one Smile

This should be enough info to go with for now. The scabbard itself is very nice and if I was not so busy, would make myself as a project  Wink

Thats a shame but thanks for posting the pics Wink
Ivor