Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Karanis Revealed includes details of the leather Armour
Publication: "Karanis Revealed" free pdf download includes the Armour in detail, dating etc.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thank you Ivor the armour makes very interesting reading  Smile enough survives to make a good guess of what it looked like.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
(08-15-2019, 09:48 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Thank you Ivor the armour makes very interesting reading  Smile enough survives to make a good guess of what it looked like.

Thought it very interesting particularly the date given, here's the publication page if you have trouble finding it there's quite a bit on the Karanis excavations to download from the various series:

https://lsa.umich.edu/kelsey/publications.html

Also this page on conservation of the armour has colour pics not in the reports, though theres no colour control:

http://exhibitions.kelsey.lsa.umich.edu/...armor.html

Not sure if I agree with it being torso armour as I think the neck size and closure is critical, assuming its the front.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Again thanks  Smile I had a quick read of the find but not all of it. I do like this type of leather armour, my leather Squamata has the scales running up. Also interesting in the dating of the find. Will look at the conservation report and it was also coloured. I found it is good protection to weight ratio okay no defence against blunt force, but better than cloth.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
This is the earlier thread about this armour.
https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/showth...?tid=23099
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(08-16-2019, 09:16 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Again thanks  Smile I had a quick read of the find but not all of it. I do like this type of leather armour, my leather Squamata has the scales running up. Also interesting in the dating of the find. Will look at the conservation report and it was also coloured. I found it is good protection to weight ratio okay no defence against blunt force, but better than cloth.

The site seems to have been founded about 250bc as an agricultural community eventually being abandoned by its occupants, not sure when though.

An overview: Karanis an Egyptian town in Roman Times.

Mostly I'm interested in leather objects, shoes and associated items, there seems to be no "roman" period leather shoes at Karanis, though there is a last recorded (no pic) so shoe making appears to have been done at Karanis, footware that is recorded is mostly palm leaf sandals about a dozen or so examples (no pics) no leather.

One interesting piece is a leather and palm fibre matt said to be part of a harness for a donkey, but could be for something else entirely? as at karanis there was apparantly a guild of cameliers, so perhaps the armour has something to do with this?, guards maybe for the transport of produce?. There appears to be nothing else of a military nature?.

If there were any other leather items (or military stuff) of significance it seems they likely reside in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo.

Not yet written stone Just waffling here... Wink
Ivor

If the armour was made by an Egyptian in an Egyptian style and worn by an Egyptian, why would it be considered Roman armour?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(08-17-2019, 09:35 AM)Dan Howard Wrote: If the armour was made by an Egyptian in an Egyptian style and worn by an Egyptian, why would it be considered Roman armour?

Because it comes from the site of a settlement settled by ex Roman military and with heavy Roman influence?
As you say it may have belonged to an Egyptian, or even someone else entirely and as I said earlier it appears to be the only physical evidence of military equipment. The finds are generally what you might expect to find in a civilian site from what I can see.

Perhaps a better description might be Romano-Egyptian.

Worth a look:

Papyri and ostraca from Karanis.

Roman glass from Karanis

Karanis : the temples, coin hoards, botanical etc

and others here:

https://lsa.umich.edu/kelsey/publication...tions.html
Ivor