Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is this small (unconquered?) white area north east of Italy?
I'm watching a Netflix production on the Roman Empire. They show this map of all the lands under Roman rule at the time of Tiberius (just prior to Caligula). My question is (and it's driving me crazy) What is the small white area between Italy and France that seems to be independent of Rome? 
  See what I am refering to here:     https://youtu.be/b53uBV1MPSQ

Your help with this burning question is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

West of Italy.
I think it's a gap in Netflix coverage. Smile
Other than that I would not know - there would not be such an area at that moment in Roman history.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Sounds like the Cottian Alps, a Roman client kingdom ruled by King Cottius and his son after him.

It wasn't officially absorbed into the empire until the son's death, under the reign of Nero. It later became the Roman province of Alpes Cottiae.
Nathan Ross
(08-07-2019, 04:55 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: West of Italy.
I think it's a gap in Netflix coverage. Smile
Other than that I would not know - there would not be such an area at that moment in Roman history.
Thank you, Robert Vermaat
"...a gap in Netflix coverage." That's funny! Smile But seriously; did you see the map I'm talking about? On Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b53uBV1MPSQ

I'm serious OCD and will not be at ease until this mystery is solved. 
 It wasn't officially absorbed into the empire until the son's death, under the reign of Nero. It later became the Roman province of Alpes Cottiae.

Ooo. Yes, that looks geographically correct! Thank you, Nathan Ross!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-07-2019, 05:03 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: Sounds like the Cottian Alps, a Roman client kingdom ruled by King Cottius and his son after him.

In that case the map has some issues in the Danube reagion too I think - at least I was not aware that such large parts East of the river had been added to the Empire by the time of Caligula. The tip of Mauretania is also not incorporated into Roman control - that happened in AD44 I think?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Coolness! Thank you, Robert Vermaat.
That map is simply wrong. It is including in the empire the Agri Decumates, that were taken after Vespasianus. Territories beyond the danube that were at most to be considered as Client Kingdoms. And the Morocco area that we can see was already under the empire, while in the map is white.
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)
At first, I might guess that it was the small village of indomitable Gauls who held out against the Roman invaders - the home to Asterix and Obelix. However, the village of which I speak, as recorded in history by Goscinny and Uderzo, was in what is now Belgium.
Robert Reeves

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unconquered races within the Roman Empire Theodosius the Great 25 6,960 11-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Ron Andrea