Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help with Late Roman British Legionary
(08-08-2019, 01:27 PM)Athena Areias Wrote: Pre-wash your linen fabric in cold water with laundry detergent and 20 Mule Team BORAX (the borax does the work).  It will lift out all the processing oils left in the linen fabric.  The fabric will be softer and easier to work with.  Your tunic will not change shape after the first washing after wear.  I learned the hard way.

If your neighbor is hand-stitching the tunic, waxing the thread makes the seams easier to do.  Have fun!

You sure about that? Becasue decantation of linen is excatly opposite. It's about making 2-3 baths in a almost boilig water. I did that 3 times with my linen tunic and only then it started to be more flexible and pleasant in touch.
Damian
I was trying to save my chiton. A cold water (with detergent) wash revealed many oil streaks in my garment. A reenactor who works with wool and linen weaving told me about the borax wash. It worked. My chiton was clean, streak free and soft. Hot water would have shrunk my chiton and it would now be a smaller person's chiton.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Well, that's why you do decantation before any stiching, on a plain fabric (linen). Linen drops only about 5% of size and bath in almost boiling water makes it smooth while regular linen is kinda harsh, and doesn't want to fold.
Damian
Can't believe I missed this.

If you're going for late 4th century you'll definitely want a belt that's specific to the British Isles in style, like the Horse buckle belts e.g. the one from Chepestow.

For shoes you'll want a set of Campagi. Medievaldesign makes some, but Knierem's are almost the same price and are a little better.

The Deepeeka Feltwell Spatha is... fine... I just wish they'd update it with a shallow fuller and re-do the guard. I need to find out who Gagan's working with and get those fixed. That or have him can it for an Osterburken-Kemathen type.

Medievaldesign's stuff is good for starting out, but you'll want to make a white linen Kamision to go under your Tunic as well. Don't get those CelticWebMerchant Thorsbergs, you need proper, tight-fitting, footed trousers.
(08-25-2019, 05:05 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: Can't believe I missed this.

If you're going for late 4th century you'll definitely want a belt that's specific to the British Isles in style, like the Horse buckle belts e.g. the one from Chepestow.

For shoes you'll want a set of Campagi. Medievaldesign makes some, but Knierem's are almost the same price and are a little better.

The Deepeeka Feltwell Spatha is... fine... I just wish they'd update it with a shallow fuller and re-do the guard. I need to find out who Gagan's working with and get those fixed. That or have him can it for an Osterburken-Kemathen type.

Medievaldesign's stuff is good for starting out, but you'll want to make a white linen Kamision to go under your Tunic as well. Don't get those CelticWebMerchant Thorsbergs, you need proper, tight-fitting, footed trousers.
Could you send me a link to Knierem, I can't seem to find it? Sorry for posting so late classes started up again so I've been fairly busy.
Parker
Hey,

Sorry I spelled it wrong. Knieriem.

http://knieriem.net/category.php?id_cate...&id_lang=1
Evan, I think the most typical blade shape for a 4th c. CE roman sword is hexagonal?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
No, they're usually lenticular or even diamond shaped. Only the Osterburken-Kemathens are really hexagonal, and even then the only identifiable 5th Century Roman sword (Monceau-le-Neuf) is Lenticular in cross section. The Illerup-Wyhls and Ejsbol-Sarry's are properly fullered. So that was my mistake.
It has been a long road, but I think it is only right that I finally post an update on my kit.

Two things not pictured is the maille shirt I have (I still need to degrease it and put a cleaner oil on), my subarmalis (I'll wait till the maille is ready), and my helmet (I honestly forgot about it and had already taken everything off after the pictures my wife took).

For the future, I plan on making another belt, I am not completely satisfied with how my first one turned out. Additionally, I am lacking most of the camp kit and a good spear (I had ordered one but when it arrived it looked nothing like the picture).

If people would like, I can post a full list of where I got everything.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Parker
(07-25-2023, 12:01 AM)Julius Nepos Wrote: It has been a long road, but I think it is only right that I finally post an update on my kit.

Looking good sir!

I spot only one mistake, easily corrected: your fibula is attached the wrong way - foot needs to point upwards. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
More update pictures. This time with my armor and the new belt I just finished. Only things I am still missing from this is the spear and a knife.

Next thing I'm moving to is getting my marching kit together. I have already gotten the bags and am going to make my furca soon. 
Two questions:
Does anyone have a full comprehensive list of what all should be in the packs?

Does anyone know where to buy a Dura Europa knife that is not the Deepeeka one but is not as expensive as the one from Tod's Workshop?

Parker
(12-01-2023, 12:54 PM)Julius Nepos Wrote: Does anyone know where to buy a Dura Europa knife that is not the Deepeeka one but is not as expensive as the one from Tod's Workshop?
If you want a knife suitable to Roman Britain in the 4th century CE, wouldn't it be best to copy a small find from Roman Britain? The Portable Antiquities Scheme will get you started but there are probably open-access books you can download https://finds.org.uk/database/search/res...riod/ROMAN
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
(12-01-2023, 12:54 PM)Julius Nepos Wrote: More update pictures. This time with my armor and the new belt I just finished. Only things I am still missing from this is the spear and a knife.

Next thing I'm moving to is getting my marching kit together. I have already gotten the bags and am going to make my furca soon. 
Two questions:
Does anyone have a full comprehensive list of what all should be in the packs?

Does anyone know where to buy a Dura Europa knife that is not the Deepeeka one but is not as expensive as the one from Tod's Workshop?

Very nice. welldone on all the work you have put into the kit. Pack contents are interesting as it depends on what you are packing for? if it is a march, then you would need campaigning gear but if it is for personal use then the usual items such as a cup, spoon/eating knife, personal toiletries, money bag, first-starting kit, gaming items etc. If you want to see more about what a 4th century scout/arcanus might carry see some of my youtube videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS2TAoR...o9gniAS-ZQ
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
I am having a small problem at the moment that is slowly turning into a bigger problem. I constantly run into the problem of my tunic's embroidery on the sleeve and bottom hem catching on my maille (especially when putting the maille on). I have started to look for a long sleeve subarmalis as one solution to this problem, but I really don't want to have to get another subarmalis if I don't need it.

Has anyone else struggled with this, and what are some solutions to the problem?
Parker
Photo 
The general consensus now is that decorated tunics were not worn under armour. All the representations show undecorated tunics (usually in red, green or blue). Those military figures who wore decorated tunics are not on the whole also draped in armour.

I now have two blue tunics - a lovely clean decorated one I wear without armour and an old decorated one, worn and frayed from when I wore it with armour before the consenus changed. This latter one is also worn with a green felt underlayer which takes the brunt of the wear and tear now. I need to get an undecorated blue or red tunic to be accurate.

Francis Hagan

The Barcarii

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supplier of Late 3rd/4th C Roman Legionary Shoes Antoninus05 2 1,529 03-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  Late 2nd Century Legionary Infantry Caius Valens 22 5,212 12-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Tib. Gabinius