Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trajan's Column Slinger
Hello,

I already posted a similar question on Slinging.org (Slinging.org thread), but I figured since it's Roman I'd put it here, too.

I'm starting to put together the armament of the slinger on Trajan's column, and I'm planning on making an Egyptian sling for it. Would this be a historically accurate or plausible sling to use? If not, does anyone know what type is pictured or would be used historically?

[Image: Slingers_on_Trajan%27s_Column.JPG]
Benjamin
Based on feedback from Slinging.org, I'm going to make an Egyptian style sling from linen that is about 24" folded.

As for the rest of the kit:
- I already have a pugio, but I need to modify or make a new scabbard, as it is a Titleberg scabbard, which is slightly innacurate (reply #5 of  this thread).
- The shield looks to be an oval shape, so I am making a clipeus shield (based on Legio XX Scutum), which I just glued the back bracing onto today.
- I still need to get wool for a tunic and cloak, but depending on cost and my budget, I may omit the cloak for now.
- The belt could be another sling, a strip of linen (Legio XX Tunic), or I could finally start on that belt I have been putting off making for over a year now.
- Ammunition will just be rocks from the ground.

If anyone notices anything historically inaccurate with how I plan to construct the kit, please let me know.
Benjamin
I have yet to rivet on the boss, but here's the shield so far:

I also started on the sling:

Benjamin
Hi Benjamin great to see you are having a go at being a slinger  Smile
First thing is your unit you are with ? Then your ethnic background are you Egyptian or have served in Egypt ? This is the background story as to your portrayal. A sling being Egyptian if in context not a problem it at the end of the day has one job to do. The shield looks great and the Pugio is a minor detail if it just needs extra rings ( cannot go past Crispvs on this ) As to you tunic, cloak as you are not in armour this is were a little bit could be spent on, remmember where your ehtnic background is as to dress or adopt native clothing as to where you are stationed. I wish you the best of luck please keep us posted as you go along.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote:First thing is your unit you are with ? Then your ethnic background are you Egyptian or have served in Egypt ? This is the background story as to your portrayal. A sling being Egyptian if in context not a problem it at the end of the day has one job to do.

I have not looked into the background story nearly as much as I should have. I am trying to portray an auxiliary slinger from the first Dacian War (as shown here on Trajan's Column). So far I do not know the specific unit, so I will have to look into what units were in that area at the time.

As for ethnic background, I was not planning on having been Egyptian or having service in Egypt. I would go with the background of a Balearic slinger, but according to the Balearic Slinging Federation, their last recorded usage in battle was 57 BC. My other options would be to either find another culture known for skilled slingers that matches the correct time period, or portray an average auxiliary that just happens to be armed with a sling. I'll spend more time looking into this.

I chose the Egyptian sling design because it seems to be the most historically plausible type (it was used in this reconstruction), and I don't know any specifics on what the historical sling design would be. I could also make other styles such as a Balearic sling or something very generic just in case.

Quote:The shield looks great and the Pugio is a minor detail if it just needs extra rings ( cannot go past Crispvs on this )

Thanks! Smile 
The design is based off of this one on Trajan's Column. I'm not sure what scene it is from, but I screenshotted it, printed it out, and colored it in for reference when painting.

I recently removed the inaccurate pierced lug on the scabbard, and now need to get some brass and figure out how to make new suspension rings and rivet those on.

Quote:As to you tunic, cloak as you are not in armour this is were a little bit could be spent on, remmember where your ehtnic background is as to dress or adopt native clothing as to where you are stationed.

I agree, I will have to use some ethnic clothing depending on my chosen background and location. While Trajan's Column does depict the slinger in a Roman style tunic and cloak, that could be a result of cultural bias and artistic license on the sculptor's part.

I also have yet to order or find good wool fabric online, so I will continue looking into that, too.

Quote:I wish you the best of luck please keep us posted as you go along.

Thank you! I will keep you posted. Big Grin
Benjamin
There are some slings from Masada in Granger-Taylor, Hero (2012). "Fragments of Linen from Masada, Israel—the Remains of Pteryges?—and Related Finds in Weft-and Warp-Twining Including Several Slings." In Nosch, Marie-Louise (ed.). Wearing the Cloak: Dressing the Soldier in Roman Times. Ancient Textiles Series. Vol. 10. Oxford: Oxbow Books. pp. 56–84
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:There are some slings from Masada in Granger-Taylor, Hero (2012). "Fragments of Linen from Masada, Israel—the Remains of Pteryges?—and Related Finds in Weft-and Warp-Twining Including Several Slings." In Nosch, Marie-Louise (ed.). Wearing the Cloak: Dressing the Soldier in Roman Times. Ancient Textiles Series. Vol. 10. Oxford: Oxbow Books. pp. 56–84

Thank you for mentioning this, I will be sure to check it out!
Benjamin
I finally finished the sling! It is made of 8/5 linen rug warp.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Benjamin
(12-10-2023, 03:35 PM)Benjamin N. Wrote: I finally finished the sling! It is made of 8/5 linen rug warp.
Beautiful!! Congratulations...

Qui sepeliunt capita sua in terra, deos volantes non videbunt.
--Flavius Flav 
Well done on the sling  Big Grin looking forward to the rest of your kit. 
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trajan\'s Column: Helmet hanging on shield Titus Pontius Cominius 6 1,756 07-16-2015, 04:43 AM
Last Post: Titus Pontius Cominius