Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragonesque Brooches ( Romano British)
Hello,
Can someone tell me if these are appropriate for men to use? I am trying to find information but not coming up with anything. Looking for Romano British pieces for my first  century AD portrayal.

Thank you
John Dos
What kinds of sources have you used? I don't know Romano-British archaeology, but are there graves with grave goods like in the Pre-Roman Iron Age?
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
(02-17-2024, 01:23 AM)Lusolad Wrote: Hello,
Can someone tell me if these are appropriate for men to use? I am trying to find information but not coming up with anything. Looking for Romano British pieces for my first  century AD portrayal.

Thank you

A rule of thumb might be if their found in pairs perhaps, the suggestion here is that this pair may have been worn by a woman:

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection..._-1088-70a

In any case this short article claims the majority are found along the frontier and may have belonged to soldiers, but lets face it that interpretation is somewhat suspect when you consider the large quantitys of smaller then man size shoes found around military sites:

https://archive.archaeology.org/0809/etc/artifact.html

However I dont see any evidence against it being worn by soldiers on or off duty, and you could make the argument that the style is suitably martial... eg see bronze harness mounts.

It also appears that Enamelled examples are more common on military sites:

F. Hunter, Changing objects in changing worlds: dragonesque brooches and beaded torcs.

In any case they are beautifull objects and I wouldn't turn one down.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Do we have any evidence for female Britons fastening their tunics with pairs of brooches on the shoulders? Greek chitons were often worn like that by either sex but Britons were not Greeks or Italians.

I assumed, possibly wrongly, that Lusolad wanted to portray a civilian.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
(03-19-2024, 07:41 PM)Sean Manning Wrote: Do we have any evidence for female Britons fastening their tunics with pairs of brooches on the shoulders?  Greek chitons were often worn like that by either sex but Britons were not Greeks or Italians.

I assumed, possibly wrongly, that Lusolad wanted to portray a civilian.

Yes, according to Lindsey Allason Jones "Women in Roman Britain" 1989, pg 61 fig 18:

From the chapter "Women and the Army"

" The Dresses of Romano-British Women were fastened by Chained brooches like this unmatched pair from Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. Finds of female accesories at such military sites indicate the presence of women in the forts at an early date."

This could be one, two or three brooches worn depending on the garment/s and fashion.

My understanding is that Lusolad is putting together a Slinger impression...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867