Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Shield Patterns Website
I have had trouble accessing Luke Ueda Sarson's website over the last few days. All his links are dead. Has anyone else had this issue? I hope the site is not down permanently as I have found it to be a valuable resource over the years and would miss it terribly.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/luke/ueda-sarson/...terns.html

Does anyone here know him to contact him for an update?
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
works now.
I find that it connects briefly (perhaps to a cached copy?) and then drops off. This happens on both Internet Explorer and Firefox.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Yes that is my experience also.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
(06-22-2019, 07:33 AM)Longovicium Wrote: Yes that is my experience also.
That link seems to be loading an out of date page and then times out... Pehaps there's a problem with the site?

However here's the Internet Archive version and that seems to work ok though I've only checked a few links:

https://web.archive.org/web/201712280257...terns.html
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(06-22-2019, 10:58 AM)Crispianus Wrote: here's the Internet Archive version and that seems to work ok though I've only checked a few links:

Seems most of the links and images don't work on that either!

I've been having this problem with the site for the last few days. Is anyone in contact with Luke Ueda-Sarson? I thought he was a member of RAT some time ago...
Nathan Ross
I hope he still is and something can be done to keep the site alive.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
(06-22-2019, 11:23 AM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(06-22-2019, 10:58 AM)Crispianus Wrote: here's the Internet Archive version and that seems to work ok though I've only checked a few links:

Seems most of the links and images don't work on that either!

I've been having this problem with the site for the last few days. Is anyone in contact with Luke Ueda-Sarson? I thought he was a member of RAT some time ago...

If the latest version save doesnt work for you try an earlier version, so far I've had no problems with images showing from around 2016, its not a perfect solution by any means Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Unfortunately, it's the later links which seem uncaptured ie: post 2017. So for example I want to open up the hyper link attached to the
Praefectus alae primae Herculeae under the Dux Brittaniarum but it always times out and reports that 'The Wayback Machine has not archived that URL.'. I've tried the 2017 and 2016 periods with the same result.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Nathan Ross Wrote: I thought he was a member of RAT some time ago...

He was. His username was lukeuedasarson but he was only active for about a month. He joined on 29 December 2015 and his last visit was on 31 January 2016. Still, it may be possible to e-mail him through his User CP or maybe through Osaka University.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
(06-22-2019, 11:23 AM)Nathan Ross Wrote:  Is anyone in contact with Luke Ueda-Sarson? I thought he was a member of RAT some time ago...

I am and 10 days ago he reported that he would look into things. That's when it came back up. I've asked him once more what the problem is, but it's not that the site is out of action by design.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(06-30-2019, 07:50 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: I've asked him once more what the problem is, but it's not that the site is out of action by design.

Thanks Robert.

The current version of the site still seems to be unavailable, unfortunately... Hopefully Luke can resolve whatever the problem might be!
Nathan Ross
Fingers crossed - and thanks for asking, Robert. Much appreciated.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Posting on behalf of Robert Vermaat:

Luke Ueda Sarson has confirmed that the Notitia Dignitatum Late Roman Shields website is now up and running again.

(I've just checked and it looks to be fine!)
Nathan Ross
That's great news - please thank Luke for me or pass on his contact details so I can think him. I do find that site exceptionally useful.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Principate Shield Patterns Flavivs Aetivs 9 2,088 10-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Late Roman Shield Personalization Poftim 72 13,724 09-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Last Post: TheMexican1821
  Roman Shield Designs/Patterns (Late Republic-AD200) Mythos_Ruler 5 3,823 04-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Dutchhoplite