Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Tube and Yoke" at the Alesia Museum
I was recently looking into the MuséoParc Alésia in France. There is a large modern sculpture inside the museum, which depicts a battle between the Gauls and the Romans. I found it interesting that the most prominent Gaul in the sculpture is wearing a "tube and yoke" armor at shown Here

One needs only look at Victorian era depictions of anything ancient to be skeptical of "modern" recreations, but I did find this armor interesting - and I like to think that a museum at the - supposed - site of Alesia would put some research into their artwork.

I would suggest that there is evidence of Celtic "tube and yoke" armor from earlier times; the bronze figure and stone statue at Glauberg, the Halstatt scabbard cavalry, to name a few. But those - as far as I know - are dated at least three to four hundred years from Alesia at the closest.

Is there any evidence of "tube and yoke" armor being used in the Celtic world in the 1st Century BCE? Or can we chalk this up to artistic license as a way to differentiate the Romans and Gauls in the sculpture?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Alesia museum ParthianBow 5 3,412 03-31-2011, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Gaius Colletti