Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A map of ancient Carthage needed
Dear readers,
The best online map I can find so far is this one below...
Is there a better one available? I`m particularily interested in the river systems in Africa between Hadrumetum and Zama Regia and in the route taken by Hannibal in the Zama campaign of 202 BC.
Thanks for any help you can provide me on this one!

map 1855 of ancient africa[Image: 1855_Spruneri_Map_of_North_Africa_in_Anc...i-1855.jpg]
Have you already tried using the Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire?

The current version is till missing a lot of the older features (search, etc) but at the highest zoom level it's quite detailed with topography, rivers and  so on.
Nathan Ross
(12-17-2020, 02:44 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: Have you already tried using the Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire?

The current version is till missing a lot of the older features (search, etc) but at the highest zoom level it's quite detailed with topography, rivers and  so on.

Many thanks Nathan, most useful...
I think i need to check now on the wetlands/large areas of water west of Hadrumetum (modern Sousse) to see if they are seasonal wetlands or not.
And a check on the geology of the area too next, as there appear to be water couses that suddenly come to an abrupt end... so, maybe they disappear in to underground limestone cave systems?
Mike.
(12-17-2020, 02:44 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: Have you already tried using the Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire?

Interesting. Is it providing also territory map according to the period?
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Photos of Roman tombstones in Britain needed for Ancient Warfare magazine JoshoB 6 3,915 05-06-2016, 09:46 AM
Last Post: JoshoB