Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Domed segmentata plates
Over in the FB RAT, a person has posted a reconstruction of a segmentata with “domed” (curved both laterally and longitudinally) shoulder guards and girdle plates, claiming some artifacts support this (see below). Does the evidence support this? 

Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Richard the simple answer is no. After 2000 years of being in the ground, pressure of compacted earth ect can deform metal also the iron will rust into a solid mass and as it oxidize will bulge from within. You must also factor in why, the extra time to do this when flat plate works fine. If a contractor has 500 to make in 2 weeks he will just want to cut, punch,rivet. This is why we find some quality fittings and some absolute shoddy ones. All the finds I have seen are of flat plate unless curved for fit. Also the one showen made is wrong at the hinge sections, the plates should all go under the top one with no gap, ever part of the lorica should have over lap. I have photo from Robinsons book, also how bad fittings can be on a type A. I live not far from Corbriadge and have studied the lorica pieces as well as countless books on this subject alone and never has anyone put forward this. As well as making them myself. I will give credit for actually making it and the time taken. If you have just used that photo as evidence with out looking at the countless finds, then it will be hard to convince that this method was used in its manufacture.

Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
(05-04-2019, 02:22 AM)richsc Wrote: Over in the FB RAT, a person has posted a reconstruction of a segmentata with “domed” (curved both laterally and longitudinally) shoulder guards and girdle plates, claiming some artifacts support this (see below). Does the evidence support this? 

Where is the top pic of the plates from?
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  L. segmentata Shoulder Plates Matt Lukes 5 1,523 03-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Anonymous