Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historically recreated wines
I don't know why modern people seem to like dry wine. It is not historically Ancient Roman. The dry wines were wines that had become less than sweet. Posca is made from wine vinegar and considered the lowest form of drink. In the writings of Pliny and others there are recipes for returning sweetness to wine that has gone sour. The Romans and Judeans liked sweet wine. (Read Jesus' first miracle.)

I found a wonderful 18% alcohol, sweet wine during my stay in Pompeii this September. It was sweeter than the "Tears of Christ" red or white, and called the "Blood of Guido" (is that God or Jesus)? Wonderful, thick, sweet, red wine grown in the soil near Vesuvius. Now I am trying to find some in the USA, with absolutely no luck.

I will pay a bounty plus cost and shipping for more of this wine, and I'll buy it by the case. Big Grin
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I have just discovered this from my wine merchant: in the Languedoc the Romans took old-vine Grenache and then added a dash of powerful Maury. I'm taking my socks off now and will getting treading in my bath. Stand-by for my tasting notes....
Lochinvar/Ewan Carmichael
....mmm, dark ruby, intense aromas of black cherry and...fragrant spice. Deep bramble fruit gives way to ripe plum, chocolate (YESSS!) and coffee flavours....(Swilling noises, slurp, spit)...Smooth, port-like finish...(hic). :wink:
.....and bathtub grime, and wool sock flavors...mmmm mm! Tongue

Sounds really good, Ewan. What's the name of this wine?
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
Hang on a minute! Bathtub grime? I'll have you know my batman cleans the bath before he winds up my watch and puts it on my wrist. (I think it was Churchill who said that no man remained a hero to his valet for very long).
I took my socks off before treading the grapes thank you very much....and I removed the yellow plastic duck from the bath tub as well :roll:

Actaully, its called Cabalie, Pyrenees-Orientales VdP.

If its a Vin de Pays perhaps the peasants left their socks on!!!!
Ah, so that's why my tub keeps getting dirty. I don't have a batman. Must change that.

Have to see if that's available in my part of the US. Without selling my left er,...arm. Actually, I never was much of a wine aficionado, more into stout and scotch but since serving Rome, I've been aquiring civilised tastes and learning to appreciate wine Big Grin
Yes, Italian whisky, can't beat it!!
Actually I hear that Deepeeka is having a go :lol:
Much to the chagrin of the booze nazis Smile ) )

OK, in all seriousness.......last time our 3 man legion got together, the subject came up of replicating ancient wine out of modern ones. It was usually quite thicker then, from what I know. One idea on brining that about was boiling it for a few minutes. Anyone try this? Any other methods on turning modern wine into something a proper civiles would have to mix with water?
Quote:boiling it
The wine lover in me thinks EGAD! Why not just add a thickner like cornstarch to it? Seriously, we still don't know if Roman wine was thick, thin, sweet or not. I can't see that syrupy, sugary wines like Boones Farm would be what the Romans liked, or if they really like the flavor a coating of resin imparted from the amphora. And if you look at the 'brown wines' from Crete, you get another entirely different perspective on how wine can go with food;
NY Times on Crete's wine
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
My personal history is a roman vinarius ( wine dealer) from the first century AC. And of course, I make some different roman wines based on ancient formulas from APICIUS with modified parameters.

Especial for the cold winter time is my "conditum paradoxum calidum" a mulled wine based on italien CHIANTI wine,honey,dates and some different spices. The flavour is a interesting composition between sweet, hot, bitter, spicy.
Caivs Molinarivs Blandvs, Vinarivs et Mvrmillo "Lvpvs"
aka Wolf M.
Tongue I just have to say that that wine looks delicious and wouldn't mind drinking some right about now. Any chance you sell that somewhere in Canada?
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Salve Senovara,
Salvete Omnes,

I tried Wolfgang's mulsum as well as the conditum paradoxum and have to say that both are very delicious.
If I ever go to Germany I must try it! Smile
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
@Senovara,

many thanks for your interesting. I will try to find out what´s the shipping price for to send my wine to canada.

Big Grin caivs
Caivs Molinarivs Blandvs, Vinarivs et Mvrmillo "Lvpvs"
aka Wolf M.
what about a jewish table wine? I seem to recall seeing a "documentary" with terry jones in pompeii talking about what made up a roman's workman lunch. he even sampled what he called a recreation of roman wine? does anybody know of this?

Caius Matinius Mattius
Legio XIIII Gemina

chris mattingly