Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panoply advice

Hey everyone,

I'm in the beginnings of creating a kit. This is my first time researching ancient Greek history with any sort of seriousness, so bear with my ignorance on some matters.

Attached is a rough of sketch of my best conclusions after some brief preliminary research, of a CA 500 BC Lacedaemonian Hoplite.

There are some points I am unsure about.

-Spartan shoes - When did these come into vogue?

- Corinthian helm - "ear cutouts at 500BC or not?" (I chose 510BC - 500BC to avoid the Pilos helm altogether, so if need be ill go earlier)

- Scales on the Tube and Yoke cuirass - Is the amount of scales attached here reasonable or did I overdo it?

Id welcome anyone who would like to point out ANY inaccuracies with this sketch. Sources are appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

LEO 
(Ryan)
Hi, Ryan. Welcome to RAT. Your attachment doesn't seem to have attached. I can't see your sketch.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(03-20-2019, 12:11 AM)leoviiiiv Wrote: Hey everyone,

I'm in the beginnings of creating a kit. This is my first time researching ancient Greek history with any sort of seriousness, so bear with my ignorance on some matters.

Attached is a rough of sketch of my best conclusions after some brief preliminary research, of a CA 500 BC Lacedaemonian Hoplite.

There are some points I am unsure about.

-Spartan shoes - When did these come into vogue?

LEO 
(Ryan)

I think you mean Laconian or "Laconikai" a type of simple footware favoured by Spartans (or those who favored Spartan philosophy) unfortunatly I can't see your pic so cant comment on that, but there seems no clear evidence other then ambiguous sculptures and literary sources so identifying and dating for any given style would be problematic.

However this is one of a number of variations that I believe to be termed "Laconikai" usually an open toed shoe or low boot with a distictive flap (at least during the Roman period):

You might also find this article interesting, the short bibliography includes I think pretty much the extent of research on the subject...

"Laconian shoes with Roman senatorial laces"

The representation on the statue of Sophocles (Fig.26.4-5 from the above article) might be a good bet though bear in mind that he wasn't Spartan, see also:

http://www.kingscollections.org/media/ex...hocles.jpg

These are similar to the "Spartan" shoe in the attachment but have large areas of cut out openwork giving the appearance of broad straps, dating is possibly circa 4th century bc.

These shoes though are not that simple and if the descriptions are to be believed (a simple single soled shoe) then a one piece shoe or sandal (though firmly attached to the foot) would likely be more appropriate like the ones below.

From: Achilles binds the wounds of Patroklos by Sosias circa 500bc:

Edit: I can now see your image so were obviously on the same page.

Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(04-07-2019, 11:23 AM)Dan Howard Wrote: Hi, Ryan. Welcome to RAT. Your attachment doesn't seem to have attached. I can't see your sketch.

Thanks Dan,

The attachment seems to be good to go but ill give it another shot.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)