Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Nameless city in Africa taken by Scipio
I am still exploring the numbers in relation to the new cavalry doctrine I have uncovered. Before departing to capture Cartagena in 209 BC, Polybius has Scipio leave Silenus with 3,000 infantry and 500 cavalry. Livy allocates Silenus 3,000 infantry and 300 cavalry. So a difference of 200 cavalry. Scipio's army follows the organisation of the naval legion. The source both historians are using must be detailed and has included all guard cavalry. Polybius has made the mistake of adding Scipio's consular bodyguard cavalry to the total, whereas Livy has not. Both historian's numbers have been rounded.

In 67 AD, Titus had 200 chosen horsemen when he entered Gamala, and this is the exact number.

The role of the sesquiplicarius now makes sense.

Julian's 200 bodyguard cavalry at Strasbourg in 357 AD, when given the same cavalry doctrine process results in Julian having 240 bodyguard cavalry.

I have M. Speidel as a follow on Academia, and will give him the update for his evaluation. So far this cavalry doctrine is holding up from the republic to the end. However, precisely when it was introduced has yet to be positively determined. Probably 362 BC for the consul's bodyguard cavalry and the third samnite war for the introduction of cavalry left to guard the camp. This doctrine of large forces both infantry and cavalry saved the Romans at Beneventum in 279 BC and the Trebbia in 217 BC. At Beneventum, Dionysius states the Roman army was three times that of Pyrrhus. Here again we find the source that multiplies the Rome's enemy by three.  My opinion is the source is Alimentus.

I wonder is this posting will get me another negative rating?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nameless city in Africa taken by Scipio - by Steven James - 07-21-2019, 02:17 AM