Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Nameless city in Africa taken by Scipio
(05-04-2019, 02:44 PM)Steven James Wrote: Michael wrote:

Earlier you mentioned the possibility that Polybius used Scipio`s memoires as a source for his history, but also there was Scipio`s oldest son who I understand wrote a history,

No, I was not referring to Scipio’s memoirs. I wrote the following: “Also P. Cornelius Scipio (the son of Africanus) also wrote in Greek on Roman history. The scope of this work is unknown. It cannot be ruled out that Polybius could have drawn on this history.”

Ahhh my poor memory, sorry ...but Scipio`s memoires would have been more useful.

I followed my own suggestion yesterday. It`s only a detail, but I was looking for the way that battle losses were reported in Appian`s account of Thermus` action and in Polybius for the battle of Zama itself; it`s almost an expression, or a turn of phrase, both sum the losses up as: "...x,000 killed and as many prisioners/captured."

I searched for the expression or something like it in Polybius history, there two more occasions where something like this phrase has been used in book 5, but neither of these relate to the Zama campaign, nor to its participants.
No connection then. Not necessarily a common source, but it was Polybius`way of expressing the battle losses in a generalised manner.
Antias and Appian give us more credible numbers for enemy losses, so did Polybius reject the official figures in favour of the greater and exaggerated claims by Laelius and/or Scipio via Scipio`s son ?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nameless city in Africa taken by Scipio - by Michael Collins - 05-05-2019, 09:49 AM