Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Nameless city in Africa taken by Scipio
Michael wrote:

And in Publius Licinius Crassus Dives we have the Pontifex Maximus from 212 - 183; the person with the opportunity and motive; the ability to make the official records of Rome serve the aims and ambitions of Scipio; his political ally. I know we`ve addressed the question before, but who, at the time, would question such authority? Official Roman history would be based upon it - I think the general form that histories of the Zama campaign took before Polybius was similar to Appian`s chronolgy, but for Polybius` elaboration of the battle of Zama itself and odd details like the borrowing of the three spies story

Seems like we now have the making of a board game mystery. A game of who did it.

On a different era, but one involving tweaking history, I now have collaborating evidence the siege of Veii only lasted seven years. An additional three years were added to bring it in line with the ten year siege of Troy. Certain events that occurred in Homer can be found in the siege of Veii.

Battle of Algidus in 431 BC in relation to wounds of the three Roman commanders also follows a battle during the Trojan War. Quinctius wounded in the arm, Agamemnon wounded in the arm. Diomede shot in the leg, Fabius shot in the leg. Postumius’ skull fractured by a stone, left the field. Hector hit by a boulder retired from the field.

I’m getting very disillusioned with Roman history from republic to end of Second Punic War. So much fabrication, and more than I thought possible. Principate looking really good.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nameless city in Africa taken by Scipio - by Steven James - 05-02-2019, 10:55 AM