Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Nameless city in Africa taken by Scipio
The Rylands III 491 Papyrus? Yes, it does cast even more doubt on Polybius reliability.
Those supply ships were from Hadrumetum instead?... possible I guess. I think I missed that. Interesting, did Polybius get this from a Carthaginian source I wonder? And Appian finds himself repeating Polybius in book 7.34.!
I checked the agricultural produce of present-day Tunisa and I guess that Hannibal`s troops may have been conscripted to pick fruit in January/February of 202 and/or 201 BC. Right, but the first round of negotiations failed in 203 anyhow - that naughty Polybius again !

Last night, thinking on it some more, I wondered if Appian did not add one version of the campaign to another, but that there already existed a history that included the cavalry battle (Zama 1.0 if you like) and skirmishes which was followed by a major land battle (and this would be Polybius` Zama 2.0). Just checking and evaluating my ideas to date really. This perhaps made it easier for Antias to misinterpret it as two major land battles. Is this why Antias` stats for his preliminary battle and Appian`s figures for Zama appear to be related? Did Appian use Antias` figures? And if so, where did Antias get them from?

Today, I looked at Livy with reference to other historians and to see where they provided stats that conflicted - it does seem like either Quintus Fabius Pictor or Lucius Cincius Alimentus may be the source for Appian`s (Antias`) Zama 2.0
But the Carthaginian sources necessary to tell Appian`s story (the details about camps, terrain, pursuits, cavalry battles and skirmishes, supply trains, and negotiations), perhaps they came via Coelius Antipater? And so, perhaps Appian`s stats come from Coelius too?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nameless city in Africa taken by Scipio - by Michael Collins - 04-01-2019, 06:55 PM