Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Nameless city in Africa taken by Scipio
Yes, I have noticed the sentence construction before and I wondered if it would provide or indicate a lead to the source, but i didn`t find any more examples of that - maybe I need to look some more?

It does indicate an earlier source because Polybius does not include Minucius Thermus`capture of a supply train and that is because it would conflict with Polybius`borrowing of the three spies story by Herodotus.
In Appian`s account, which makes a whole lot more sense than Polybius, the capture of this Carthaginian detactment is the event that compels Hannibal to open negotiations with Scipio. In Appian, there is a change of situation, which determines Hannibal`s actions. So Polybius edits Minucius Thermus out from his history. Instead Polybius sets the scene of his version of the battle of Zama with a lie.

Check out Noddy`s Toyland Adventures... Some might say that Noddy lost his edge in the 1990`s, others have welcomed the metamorphosis he went through. Noddy is so much better socially adjusted now and Mr. Plod has much less trouble with him. I suspect it is all down to Tessie Bear`s influence.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nameless city in Africa taken by Scipio - by Michael Collins - 03-30-2019, 07:13 PM