Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman military presence in Judea
Herod the great ruled judea till his death in 4bc. Then his kingdom was divided amongst his three sons with archelaus being ruler of Judea, Samaria and Idumea. During this time the land of Israel was a client state of Rome, meaning that the kings can administer the land as they will so long as they pay homage to Rome.

But once Archelaus is disposed in 6ad, the Romans seize his lands and finally gain direct control of Judea, Samaria and Idumea. 

Now my question relates to these early days of Roman government in Judea. I dont seem to recall any need for an entire Legion to be sent here at this time. Judea was just a satellite of Syria so if a threat did arise here, one of the Syrian legions wont be far to come down and suppress it. 
But obviously some military presence has to be made in the newly gained province. So maybe a detatchment from one of the syrian legions may have accompanied Coponoius and helped him administer the Census of Quirinus?
My thought too is that the Romans utilised Archelaus' soldiers and made them into their Auxillaries to be stationed here.

Also, in these early days of Roman government in Judea, where would the majority of soldiers have stayed at. Jerusalem in Antonia or at Caesarea Maritama the capital?

Messages In This Thread
Roman military presence in Judea - by Jason Micallef - 01-09-2019, 10:51 AM
RE: Roman military presence in Judea - by Legate - 02-12-2019, 11:37 AM
RE: Roman military presence in Judea - by Flemings - 02-14-2019, 11:40 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The two armies in the Imperial Presence late 4th C Colonel Chabert 11 2,287 12-16-2020, 09:30 AM
Last Post: nikgaukroger
  The Presence of the Roman Army in NW Hispania mcbishop 1 1,799 11-26-2015, 08:45 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Roman Legionnaires in first century Judea? MarcusNorwood 3 2,353 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Albertomv