Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deepeeka Lorica Segmenta
Hello i have a question about this set of armour, http://deepeeka.in/lorica-segmenta-ss.html

Lorica Segmenta (Ss)

SKU:AH3851S

My question is with it being the latest in production number is it more accurate than previous builds and also if anyone has got any of these replicas what modifications to make it accurate have you done to it?
I know usually steer clear from them but the good Hamata are very exspensive and this is half the price generally.

I was thinking about cutting the rib plates shorter and relocating the brass threading bit so it fits my body shape snuggly,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
I will try to help  Smile Basically they are faults with it, but if you study the origonal fragments you will find a huge difference in build quality, some are time taken components others are crude to be polite. The Lorica you show has a big fault with the girdle plates, they have a step in them  from the bottom upwards all these plates should be in a straight line. (This is a common fault as when you put plate on top of plate is has to be made a little longer to compensate.) So you end up with a slight taper from the chest down. the thong eyelets are correct, one side should be set back for a overlap. The shoulder segments are wrong? per the origonals, the pointed section is the wrong way round, but to me the picture shows is the logical way to put them on. The thought I have is, they could have been riveted on the wrong way by mistake, If you think about it a pointed piece of iron, if you fell over side ways could make a nice mess of your neck. A bit more roll also around the neck plates. Plus it is stainless steel and the finish on the plates and the overall apperance is too perfect. But it could be tinkered with make it a bit nearer the origonals. If you have to alter the girdle to fit better then it might be just as easy to make a new section as I have found the top plates are quite universal to fit on to. I dont have at hand photos of the various origonal parts to show what I mean. What we also have to remember is they where many Fabricas making these and they must have been many variants and quality. So any modern version could be classed as this. I hope this is of some help in what you decide to do.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
(12-07-2018, 01:29 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: I will try to help  Smile Basically they are faults with it, but if you study the origonal fragments you will find a huge difference in build quality, some are time taken components others are crude to be polite. The Lorica you show has a big fault with the girdle plates, they have a step in them  from the bottom upwards all these plates should be in a straight line. (This is a common fault as when you put plate on top of plate is has to be made a little longer to compensate.) So you end up with a slight taper from the chest down. the thong eyelets are correct, one side should be set back for a overlap. The shoulder segments are wrong? per the origonals, the pointed section is the wrong way round, but to me the picture shows is the logical way to put them on. The thought I have is, they could have been riveted on the wrong way by mistake, If you think about it a pointed piece of iron, if you fell over side ways could make a nice mess of your neck. A bit more roll also around the neck plates. Plus it is stainless steel and the finish on the plates and the overall apperance is too perfect. But it could be tinkered with make it a bit nearer the origonals. If you have to alter the girdle to fit better then it might be just as easy to make a new section as I have found the top plates are quite universal to fit on to. I dont have at hand photos of the various origonal parts to show what I mean. What we also have to remember is they where many Fabricas making these and they must have been many variants and quality. So any modern version could be classed as this. I hope this is of some help in what you decide to do.

Thank you so very kindly for the reply, i was getting annoyed with being ignored on this post lol
I understand what you mean as i have done some deep research in to Seg to try to better understand the build process and versions.
i would love to build my own but i don't have the time,money,tools patience to do one quite yet so i thought an off the shelf will suffice for the odd times il need to wear it.
I know mild steel is correct but the maintenance of fighting rust even sitting in a room is just to much for me and i like things to be clean and crisp.
i think it might not be to far a stretch to modify it to be more correct and i like the idea of the different fabrica with there tweeks to improve the set its a really good thought.
if you do come across any images and such which may help then feel free to email me.

Thank you again, you have gave me a good lot to think about.
No problem Andrew  Smile  pm me your email I will send you a few photos ECT. With the finds coming out now show a much more diverse styles than what we are use too. Having made a couple myself, I can see many a variation to the Lorica could be made improvements and ones that could cut corners  Wink
Regards brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
(12-11-2018, 09:54 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: No problem Andrew  Smile  pm me your email I will send you a few photos ECT. With the finds coming out now show a much more diverse styles than what we are use too. Having made a couple myself, I can see many a variation to the Lorica could be made improvements and ones that could cut corners  Wink

It wont let me private message you.
I love your thoughts on this ! I'd like to make mine rather individual, can you suggest any good reading on this matter?
andrewphayes1 at gmail.com
(12-12-2018, 12:00 PM)Andrewphayes1 Wrote: It wont let me private message you.

One more post and 'it' will be fine Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
[Image: artgroepbutton.jpg]
(12-12-2018, 12:00 PM)Andrewphayes1 Wrote:
(12-11-2018, 09:54 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: No problem Andrew  Smile  pm me your email I will send you a few photos ECT. With the finds coming out now show a much more diverse styles than what we are use too. Having made a couple myself, I can see many a variation to the Lorica could be made improvements and ones that could cut corners  Wink

It wont let me private message you.
I love your thoughts on this ! I'd like to make mine rather individual, can you suggest any good reading on this matter?
andrewphayes1 at gmail.com

I would suggest: "Lorica Segmentata Volume I: A Handbook of Articulated Roman Plate Armour" M.C.Bishop

and: "Lorica Segmentata: A Catalogue of Finds" M.D.Thomas 

And finally: "Excavations at Roman Corbridge: The Hoard" Bishop and Jones

pm me if you have any problems with the download on scribe Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Ok Andrew no problem. Thanks  Robert and Ivor for that bit help ? 
Regards Brennivs ?
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Hmm this will be way more trouble than i first expected then Sad guess ill just have to go for Hamata, Any suggestions on the most accurate sets?
Andrew message sent  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Lorica Segmentata types Gallic G 4 2,497 11-16-2016, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Gallic G
  Lorica Segmenta From Planet Trading Lucius Duccius Rufinus 27 4,373 09-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Anyone with a Deepeeka Lorica Segmentata? Innis 15 4,756 03-18-2006, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Gaius Decius Aquilius