Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panoply in the Roman Republic
Mark, the history of the short kilt is interesting.  The short kilt is not a traditional garment, but was invented in the 18th century by the foreigners who were recruiting gangs of labourers in the highlands and wanted a cheap garment which did not get in the way.  It then spread after the British Army adopted it as part of the uniform of Scottish and Highland regiments, probably because it was much cheaper than the traditional great kilt and looked Scottish to an Englishman, and was redesigned by professional tailors into a garment with sewn-in pleats.  By the middle of the 19th century, creating 'Highland regiments' with distinctive uniforms and swords and bagpipes was all about the 'frontier chic', just like Michael says.

The way Scottish and Highland culture were redefined and appropriated after the '45 and the novels of Sir Walter Scott is a great example of the invention of tradition and how people borrowing from another culture usually change what they borrow and decide what is "authentic" by what feels right not asking people from the culture they think they are imitating.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Panoply in the Roman Republic - by Bryan - 10-18-2018, 06:57 PM
RE: Panoply in the Roman Republic - by Sean Manning - 11-08-2018, 03:18 PM