Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new Roman helmet?
Greetings everyone!

Recently there was news in Turkish media about a police operation against antiquities smugglers. Among the confiscated artefacts was a bronze helmet, thought to be Roman. The media has called it a gladiator helmet, however it doesn't look like one, at least a typical one. To me it looks more like a cavalry/parade type  (provided it is real). Images are attached.

What do you make of it, gentlemen?

Well, it would be nice if the rules allowed us to see the images. Can a moderator do something about this?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
No problem seeing them here.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hmmm.. I can't see them either.

Qui sepeliunt capita sua in terra, deos volantes non videbunt.
--Flavius Flav 
Neither can I, as thread starter, unfortunately.
1. Upload them to Imgur

2. It looks like a fake.
A piece of art from a statue?
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
would say fake too
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
(09-29-2018, 03:36 PM)Ancyranus Wrote: Greetings everyone!

Recently there was news in Turkish media about a police operation against antiquities smugglers. Among the confiscated artefacts was a bronze helmet, thought to be Roman. The media has called it a gladiator helmet, however it doesn't look like one, at least a typical one. To me it looks more like a cavalry/parade type  (provided it is real). Images are attached.

What do you make of it, gentlemen?
Trouble is, there are very few Gladiator helmets to compare it with - and most of those seem to have come from the Gladiator barracks in Pompeii. Some of these helmets were very ornate and 'fantastic' (to add to the spectacle I suppose). I know of one (from the former Higgs Armoury Museum) that must have been a right bitch to have to wear in any sort of combat, there are so many bits and pieces added to it.
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.