Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Distances between files and ranks
(09-04-2018, 03:42 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(09-04-2018, 02:56 PM)Steven James Wrote: You’re adding the 2,000 reservist to the 45,000 men. How can you be sure they are not part of the 45,000 men and should be subtracted?

The text of Civil Wars III.88 seems very clear to me (paying attention to the words and phrases underlined in my quote):

These forces (i.e. the 110 cohorts that made up Pompey's infantry line) amounted to forty-five thousand men, and about two thousand reserves who had come to him from the beneficiaries of his former armies; and these he had distributed throughout the whole force. Seven remaining cohorts he had placed on garrison duty in the camp and the neighbouring forts.

You'd need to check the original Latin very carefully to make sure, but that 'and' certainly appears to mean that the 2000 reserves were additional to the 45,000. The following clause states that the 2000 were mixed with the other troops, giving 47,000 total.

The seven cohorts in the camp and forts were 'remaining', so they are not counted as part of the figure either.

There is no 'and' in the Latin. That is added by the Loeb translator; the Penguin translator adds 'plus'. Without attempting a retranslation but adapting the Loeb, the passage could read: 'These amounted to 45,000, about two of veterans who had come to him from the beneficiaries of his former armies; these he had distributed throughout his whole force.' Obviously the word 'thousand' must be understood in relation to the veterans but without the 'and' this could indicate that these men are to be taken as part of the 45,000. The seven cohorts guarding the camp and forts do appear to be separate, however.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Distances between files and ranks - by Renatus - 09-04-2018, 05:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Distances and distance measuring in the Roman Army? dcbrown 2 127 04-03-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: dcbrown