Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Distances between files and ranks
Nathan wrote:

Why only two deep though?

It’s based on my research of the Roman legion from 509 BC to 410 AD. They fight in a linear manner. They do not have a file system like the Greeks. The Romans can be arrayed eight men deep, but I would have spaces between each two lines of infantry, thereby creating four lines each of two ranks. For me, a 120 maniple has a frontage of 60 men and a depth of 2 men. Therefore, a century is arrayed 30 men wide by 2 men deep. In this manner, the centurion and optio can do their job and be where they need to be, when they need to be.

I have a legion arrayed 5 maniples wide by 6 maniples deep. Between each row of maniples is a space, and this is the gap between the maniples Livy is referring to.

Nathan wrote:
Michael J Taylor's similar graphic (on p.111 of his paper above) has a formation three men deep, which I suppose would fit with Josephus's march pattern, and maybe the 60-man century of the Republic.

I’d question Josephus’ 6 men abreast in march column. Arrian has the cavalrymen belonging to their infantry units being arrayed in a single file on both flanks of the infantry, which are four men wide. This would increase the frontage of the column from four men to six men.

At the Muthul River in 109 BC, as a counter measure against being attacked from Numidian cavalry, Metellus stationed on the flanks of the tribunes, auxiliary cavalry intermixed with light infantry. Sallust (The Jugurthine War 46 6-7)

Another thing is I have never found the Romans to work in rank of odd numbers, so three ranks is definitely out for me.

Nathan wrote:
Plus, as I mentioned above, Arrian specifies eight men deep.

Arrian also specifies four men wide when marching. Polybius and Tacitus have the Roman army changing from march order to battle order in one movement. That is important to keep in mind.

When Metellus at the Muthul River became aware that he was walking into a trap, Metellus halted his army, and changed its march order formation. The right flank, which was nearest the Numidian army, Metellus strengthen with three lines of reserves (subsidia). Sallust (The Jugurthine War 49 4-6) Here we find Metellus had to halt his army in order to change his order of march, and it is a vital clue as it is the opposite to Polybius and Tacitus. What Metellus is doing has been written about by other ancient authors and totally ignored by modern scholars.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Distances between files and ranks - by Steven James - 08-27-2018, 07:28 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Distances and distance measuring in the Roman Army? dcbrown 2 127 04-03-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: dcbrown