Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where was Valentia Province in Britannia ?
(04-26-2018, 04:38 PM)Longovicium Wrote: If that building work is then I think it adds weight to this outline.

Thanks Francis. I'm not certain of the location the work you' re referring to, although I would imagine it was in the north. Do you have any more specific details of it?
Nathan Ross
My understanding is that Theodosius contributed to the building of watch-towers or burgi along the eastern coast in the wake of the 'conspiracy' although I think there is some dubiety over whether these can really be attributed to him. These are located at Huntcliffe, Goldsborough, Ravenscar, Scarborough and Filey, facing out over the North Sea between Flamborough Head and the mouth of the Tyne. Mention has also been made of linking the fortified landing-place at Holyhead at the north-west tip of Anglesey to this period as well as the a further burgos on the summit of Holyhead Mountain (coins put a terminus to the 390s). Late Roman naval activity has been adduced in the Bristol Channel with the temple complex at Lydney Park dedicated to Mars Nodens as a new temple, bath-house and guest-house were erected after AD 367.

More generally Salway, pages 382 onwards discusses the reconstruction of the forts in the north after Ammianus' statement: " . . . which had suffered manifold harm . . ." On page 383, Salway references the north-east coast of England as being provided with a set of well-fortified watch-towers extending from Filey to Huntcliff and possibly beyond. He suggests these may have been linked to the eastern end of the Wall as were intended as a coastal screen. I think similar towers were built on the western side with the possible development of the large fortified structure now being excavated at Lancaster - this latter on a par with the Saxon Shore forts, I think. Salway mentions that the coastal burgi do not appear in the Notitia and may have been under the jurisdiction of the commander at Eboracum or the near-by fort at Malton. There is also an inscription/dedication to Mars on the western coast north of Lancaster by a Numerus of Barcarii under the command of the praepostitus Sabinus, pointing to naval activity though the period remains vague. (RIB 601; altar stone; poss 3rd C.)

However, there is no convincing evidence for linking these constructions to Theodosius explicitly and all of these constructions may be nothing more than part of the general military building plans under Valentinian. It is interesting that the burgi and the huge fort at Calunium/Lancaster fit your suggested provincial boundary - although Holyhead and the Bristol Channel fall quite clearly outside that domain.

If Valentia was constituted as a new Consular province second only to Maxima Caesariensis then its importance would seem to be conglomerate with its military importance under Theodosius' re-organisation and rebuilding. 

Has anyone looked at the relation between Consular provinces and their relationship to military Duces commands? Is there a correlation which might shed light here so show that Theodosius was operating from a previously-used plan or model to re-organise and assign consular ranking?
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
(04-26-2018, 07:08 PM)Longovicium Wrote: the burgi and the huge fort at Calunium/Lancaster fit your suggested provincial boundary - although Holyhead and the Bristol Channel fall quite clearly outside that domain.

Yes, I think so. Thanks for the info on Holyhead and Lydney - and the fort at Lancaster too!

(04-26-2018, 07:08 PM)Longovicium Wrote: Has anyone looked at the relation between Consular provinces and their relationship to military Duces commands?

I did try something like that, using the lists in the ND. I was wondering whether provinces that mirrored ducal commands might have had higher status governors, so the military side didn't outrank the civil side of the government, or something... but the results were 'inconclusive'... Most frontier provinces are governed by consulares, but on the Danube there are several praeses governors too, and the province and the ducal command don't always map so exactly either.
Nathan Ross
Ah that's a shame. It would have been interesting to have found a correlation!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Slightly of topic buttThe Lydney Temple complex is now thought to have been built in the mid-third century now, with an upgrade in the fourth century.  The extract of the article on this is here
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275013187_Excavations_at_the_Roman_Temple_in_Lydney_Park_Gloucestershire_in_1980_and_1981
Semisalis Abruna of the Batavi iuniores Britanniciani
aka Nick Marshall
(09-10-2018, 05:38 PM)Semisalis Abruna Wrote: The Lydney Temple complex is now thought to have been built in the mid-third century now, with an upgrade in the fourth century.

"...the religious buildings had their inception in the second half of the third rather than in the middle of the fourth century, that there was a refurbishment in the fourth century but that there was serious deterioration of the structures after the middle of the century."

Thanks. That chronology certainly makes a lot more sense for a pagan site - refurbishment perhaps connected with Julian's reign, and then abandonment later (c.380s?) as legal restrictions on traditional religions take hold.
Nathan Ross
Thanks, Nick - will hopefully be able to read that pdf.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii