Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discomfort while wearing segmentata
Hello all,
This is my first post on the forum. My question is concerning discomfort while wearing the segmentata. My segmentata is a hybrid between the corbidge and newstead versions. I've worn the armor at a couple of events and after a few hours there is spot on either side of my shoulders/traps that are so sore. The weight doesn't feel that heavy, and it feels comfortable for a while, but like I said after a couple of hours it gets very uncomfortable. For more info, my subarmalis is not historically accurate. I've been wearing a padded collar from dark knight armory in lieu of the more historically correct padded subarmalis and this seems like it should be enough padding. And my segmentata was custom made by me for my measurements. 

So my question to other reenactors who wear segmentata, is discomfort after a couple of hours typical and I just have to get used to it, or are other reenactors able to wear their armor for hours on end without getting uncomfortable. I'm trying to figure out if it's a design flaw in my armor/padding or an issue of not having enough endurance. I figure if legionaries marched 15-20 miles a day and then built a camp while still wearing their armor that I should be able to stand doing nothing at an event  for a few hours.
I will try to help Smile First of all a photo would be helpful of the lorica and next you used the word hybrid ? I think you mean Newstead/Carlisle type. As I cannot see how you have put it together this may be part of the problem. However you cannot avoid the weight of the lorica barring on your shoulders but if you pad the top section it will help spread the load over back and chest as well. Glueing thick sheepskin in or padded linen, traces of fabric were found on the Corbridge find. If you go down the padded submarlis route this will do the same job as above so long as this was worked into the measurements. My lorica has no padding in it, and I do not use a submarlis. I have relied on my Focila to do the padding and yes my shouders were sore this is what you have to get use too. As you say we are not in ours for the next 20 years Wink
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Is it custom-fitted or is it store bought? If it's fitted it feels great to wear, at least in comparison to other kinds of armor. But if it's not fitted it can be extremely painful to wear, which is why I don't ever wear it.
Here a really useful video about the difference between a perfect Lorica Segmentata and a Cheap reconstruction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOXjgoylNTU

The good quality segmentata is made by plates of different sizes and they "dress comfortably". Instead, in a cheap reconstruction all weight is loaded on the shoulders and this is quite unconfortable.
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about wearing segmentata Theodosius the Great 12 2,531 08-26-2004, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes