Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fortifying a Roman Camp: The Liber de munitionibus castrorum of Hyginus
Duncan Campbell has published a new edition of Hyginus' Liber de munitionibus castrorum  in a Kindle version obtainable on Amazon. This comprises a new reading of the Latin text and a translation into English. After introductory chapters reviewing earlier scholarship, he sets out the Latin text paragraph by paragraph and translates each as he goes along. This format provides an excellent approach for anyone wishing to compare the Latin and English texts, rather than the alternatives of setting them out entirely separately or in parallel on alternating pages, which would probably be impractical in a Kindle edition anyway. He then provides the text of the only surviving original copy, known as 'Arcerianus', and an apparatus criticus setting out the various amendments suggested by previous scholars. Although I have not yet studied it in detail, it is bound to be superior to De Voto's translation, which Campbell diplomatically describes as 'idiosyncratic', and easier to find than Catherine Gilliver's version. which is only available to those have access to JRMES 4 (1993). It will be a significant advance in the study of Hyginus' work and, I would suggest, required reading all those interested in the layout of the Roman camp. My only criticism would be that it is not available in print form and that there is no indication that it is intended to make it so, which will be a disappointment to those, like me, who prefer to have their books in that form.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
(07-06-2018, 05:24 PM)Renatus Wrote: a disappointment to those, like me, who prefer to have their books in that form.

Me too! I don't own a Kindle. But we might hope that one day a copy of Campbell's version might be available in some other format, or even online...

Catherine Gilliver's version, however, is available as the appendix to her 1993 PhD thesis (p.233 onwards):

Gilliver, 'The Roman Art of War'
Nathan Ross
(07-08-2018, 05:43 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: I don't own a Kindle. But we might hope that one day a copy of Campbell's version might be available in some other format, or even online...

You can get a free app from Amazon which allows you to download the Kindle version to your PC. That's what I did.
Michael King Macdona

I can second Mike on the use of the Kindle for PC.

Newer Kindle books often have the option of keeping the original printed page numbers.  That makes research
and citation much easier.  Add in the ability for keyword search and Kindle books are a breeze to use.

Austin
Thanks for reporting that, Renatus! Much appreciated!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
(07-06-2018, 05:24 PM)Renatus Wrote: My only criticism would be that it is not available in print form and that there is no indication that it is intended to make it so, which will be a disappointment to those, like me, who prefer to have their books in that form.

Duly noted. I, too, prefer "book" books.

I also prefer the Loeb facing-page translation, the Teubner foot-of-the-page apparatus criticus, and the Budé use of italics in the Latin text to indicate where emendations have been made.

So I've incorporated all of these. Plus an index, for those who are linguistically inclined. Plus a diagram as a visual aid. And a slightly expanded introduction.

Amazon UK | Amazon US | Amazon Germany | Amazon Spain | Amazon France

Anyone planning a rival commentary will still benefit from the eBook's full manuscript text with all previously suggested emendations.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
You had to go and do a print version! Now I have to have that as well as the kindle version I already own . . .
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Quote:I don't own a Kindle. But we might hope that one day a copy of Campbell's version might be available in some other format, or even online...

I second that. Some more open file format would certainly be nicer. I know about the Kindle for PC application, but they do not offer a version for Linux... (yes, I know there are some conversion programs, but I guess this would not be very compliant with Amazon's Terms and conditions)

But now let's stop this useless complaining. Of course I understand the reasons. I'm ordering the paperback version now and am looking forward to read it   Smile

Thank you, Duncan!

Best regards,
Alexandr
Paperback edition ordered. Hurrah for real books! :-)
(08-04-2018, 09:56 AM)D B Campbell Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 05:24 PM)Renatus Wrote: My only criticism would be that it is not available in print form and that there is no indication that it is intended to make it so, which will be a disappointment to those, like me, who prefer to have their books in that form.

Duly noted. I, too, prefer "book" books.

I also prefer the Loeb facing-page translation, the Teubner foot-of-the-page apparatus criticus, and the Budé use of italics in the Latin text to indicate where emendations have been made.

So I've incorporated all of these. Plus an index, for those who are linguistically inclined. Plus a diagram as a visual aid. And a slightly expanded introduction.

Amazon UK | Amazon US | Amazon Germany | Amazon Spain | Amazon France

Anyone planning a rival commentary will still benefit from the eBook's full manuscript text with all previously suggested emendations.

Received my print copy today. Criticism withdrawn!
Michael King Macdona