Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard
5/17/18 Latest 1st Century Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard for my client in Germany. Historically Accurate.
This blade is made of 1075 High Carbon Steel
It weighs 1lbs. 8 oz. and comes alive in your hand with a P.O.B. 3.5" from the guard.
The Guard, Pommel, and Grip are hand carved from European Boxwood (Bauxwood)
The guard has an inset guard plate that has been "Personalized" to the New Owner. The Pommel Finial and Washer are mad of brass.
The scabbard is Historically Accurate, yet the main Terminal Plate and Chape Plate are adapted from a Mainz Scabbard. The artwork from Christian Mik's Book was redrawn and resized to fit the Fulham Scabbard.
It was not until late last night on my Birthday that I found an actual photograph of that portion of the scabbard. I believe we accomplished a good replica without having the photograph to start.
The Top Locket plate was a Roman Eagle found in Roman Sculpture.
Everything is hand made here in my shop and commissioned by my clients to meet their desires and vision for their swords and scabbards.
This client portrays a Centurion in the Reenactment Group he is a part of.
These two pieces were a labor of love and propelled me into retooling my shop in order to make Scabbards. Working with this client was a great joy as we challenged each other throughout the process to come up with this finished work.  You can see more of my works on my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Master-Carver-a...465930419/

[attachment=14758]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wow! Really beautiful, Patrick. Great work, amazing the standard you have achieved. But then you already were a gifted craftsman.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Thank you Robert. That means a lot coming from you!
Fratre,

That is a gorgeous Fulham Gladius! Magnificient work! And if you don't mind I would like to ask a question? Is there a reason or was it a personnel choice that the grip was carved of Boxwood and not of bone? Don't get me wrong. It's beautiful! You and the owner should be very proud!

Vale,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther
(07-13-2018, 03:52 PM)Purplest Wrote: Fratre,

That is a gorgeous Fulham Gladius! Magnificient work! And if you don't mind I would like to ask a question? Is there a reason or was it a personnel choice that the grip was carved of Boxwood and not of bone? Don't get me wrong. It's beautiful! You and the owner should be very proud!

Vale,
Thomas

Thomas... Thank you for the complements!  

In this instance, the client desired an "All" Boxwood Hilt.  A bit expensive... But that is what he desired.

It is my passion to come along side of people and make the sword of their dreams at an affordable price.  Each one of the swords and scabbards I make is either a replica, "Inspired by" or custom design.

Replicas are as close as I can make them using the same materials as much as possible.  "Inspired By" I would consider to be, historically accurate in measurements, styles, shapes and materials, yet with other roman art added to it.  I.E. scabbard plates that were "Inspired By" something from other Roman paintings, sculpture, altars, tombstones, mosaics, etc.  Keeping within historical accuracy, yet something not found in an archeological discovery. It is a matter of just being different from the next guy.  For instance, the Sword of Tiberius or the "Guttman Pompeii" So many people have knock-offs of these swords, we can see by archeological discoveries that there are a number of different scabbard plates and styles that were not "Stamped" but custom made by hand.  

Custom and Personalized Pieces are embellishments made by the client that makes it what they desire, yet over all, measurements, styles and materials can still be historically accurate.

I also feel that certain grips, pommels, guards and guard plates, can be interchanged... feeling that our "Dating" in archeological discoveries may be accurate to a degree, it should not shut dow the possibilities that a Mainz Grip style would not be found on a Pompeii or a Spatha of a later date and vise versa.

There are those who want "Historically Accurate" Replicas... Those that want Historically Accurate "Inspired By" and those who want to customize and personalize their piece, because it has personal meaning to them or its just what they desire.

Like these last two pieces I created... 

The "Dove" Was made for a client who is not a reenactor.  The "Dove and Olive branch" and the Laurel around the Pommel, had a meaning to the family who commissioned this sword.  Though it is not something of an archeological discovery, the artwork was found in a roman mosaic.  This piece was a tribute to someone who passed away.

The other sword with the Augustus Capricorn coin... Was for a Reenactor who portrays a Centurion.  The story behind the sword is that it was an award sword, granted to his grandfather by Caesar Augustus.  Thus, the Coin in the guard.  I made this coin in wax and used the lost wax casting in Brass.  There is also an embellishment on the guard and pommel with the Celtic type Roping that is carved into the Guard and Pommel.  These are what I would consider "Enhancements" that may not be "Replicas" but are Possibilities."

I know that there are those here on RAT may not agree, and that is ok... My commissions are to please the client and put in their hands what was once only in their vision or imagination.  I have not had a dissatisfied client yet.  I am here to serve.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creating a Fulham Scabbard With Reprousse~ Plates Pointer 5 2,129 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Sharpening 1st Century Gladius and Spatha Sword Points Pointer 0 1,367 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM
  My New Fulham / Vindonissa Gladius Pointer 4 3,492 03-20-2015, 06:40 PM