Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caerleon visit
Salvete Fratres,

My wife and I have been to England a few times and we've been to the ruins in London, Bath and a few others. We are thinking about another trip to England sometime in the fall or early winter (October, November, December). We were thinking about going to the ruins and museum in Cirencester and the Fortress at Caerleon. (II AVGVSTA is one of my favorite legions.) I was wondering if anyone has visited these sites? Are they worth visiting? Is there anything there in particular that I should definitely see? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Also, are there any other roman sites around there that would be worth seeing? 

Vale,
Thomas Guenther
Thomas Guenther
I did, and they are. Cirencester has a great museum, Caerleon's is even better (at least when I visited). Also very nice is Caewent (Venta Silurum), which has much of the walls visible, a smaller museum at Gloucester, and the temple complex at Lyndney Park.
https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagaz...omanSites/
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(04-22-2018, 09:34 AM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: I did, and they are. Cirencester has a great museum, Caerleon's is even better (at least when I visited). Also very nice is Caewent (Venta Silurum), which has much of the walls visible, a smaller museum at Gloucester, and the temple complex at Lyndney Park.
https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagaz...omanSites/

Robert,

Thanks for the information. Can you tell me what is actually at Caerleon? I know they have an amphitheater, but from what I understand its mostly just earth works (mounds). Are there any buildings, mosaics, walls, etc.? I ask as Caerleon would be the farthest place west that we would be going. Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther
Caerleon has the remains of the fortress, the amphitheater - yes, just the remains and not much left standing. Great setting though and great museum with the mosaics and the stuff from the bath house. Same in Cirencester, but with a few sections of wall remains added. Caerwent has by far the highest walls so on your way to Caerleon I'd stop these for a short walk around the village.
Best google them all to get a good idea of what to expect.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
(04-22-2018, 11:31 AM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Caerleon has the remains of the fortress, the amphitheater - yes, just the remains and not much left standing. Great setting though and great museum with the mosaics and the stuff from the bath house. Same in Cirencester, but with a few sections of wall remains added. Caerwent has by far the highest walls so on your way to Caerleon I'd stop these for a short walk around the village.
Best google them all to get a good idea of what to expect.

Robert,

I appreciate all your help. 

Thanks,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther
Be sure to let us know when you've returned!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hopefully things will work out and I'll get to visit there. Will let you know.

Cheers,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther
Hi Thomas,

If you are in that part of the world. Cardiff castle is well worth a visit - the main structures are medieval but the Roman fort is in the same site and there are reconstructed walls:

https://www.cardiffcastle.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff_Roman_Fort

It was heavily restored in the 19th C and is quite interesting otherwise.  Sadly as far as I am aware, there is no Roman gallery at the National Museum of Wales as they seem to take the view that this is all covered at the Caerleon museum.  The latter is excellent but they have some much Roman and Iron age stuff in Wales that I really feel they are missing the chance to enhance their display by not including the ancient period at the main museum in Cardiff.  I recall they did have Roman material back in the 1990s in the NMW in Cardiff.

Back in England, Great Witcombe Roman villa is not too far from Cirencester, and Chedworth Roman vllla is 20 minutes away by car.  These are not as spectacular as the villas you might see in Spain or France, but they are worth a look and anything run by the National Trust has a good catering facility to refuel.

A thought on the timing - if you visit in September, sites are likely to be open about an hour later than from October, and in the dog days of winter once you are into December/January, it gets dark about 3.30pm and winter closing may say 4pm or dusk if earlier, so you should check the websites for CADW and other guardians of the places you want to visit.  I think the baths at Caerleon are open until 5pm all year but the other sites (barracks, amphitheatre, walls etc) are in the open air so visitable at "any reasonable time" as they say in the books, but after 4pm in November you'll be tripping over in the dark!  Chedworth villa, for example, closes altogether at the end of November.

Regards,
John
(04-26-2018, 07:46 PM)John W Davison Wrote: Hi Thomas,

If you are in that part of the world. Cardiff castle is well worth a visit - the main structures are medieval but the Roman fort is in the same site and there are reconstructed walls:

https://www.cardiffcastle.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff_Roman_Fort

It was heavily restored in the 19th C and is quite interesting otherwise.  Sadly as far as I am aware, there is no Roman gallery at the National Museum of Wales as they seem to take the view that this is all covered at the Caerleon museum.  The latter is excellent but they have some much Roman and Iron age stuff in Wales that I really feel they are missing the chance to enhance their display by not including the ancient period at the main museum in Cardiff.  I recall they did have Roman material back in the 1990s in the NMW in Cardiff.

Back in England, Great Witcombe Roman villa is not too far from Cirencester, and Chedworth Roman vllla is 20 minutes away by car.  These are not as spectacular as the villas you might see in Spain or France, but they are worth a look and anything run by the National Trust has a good catering facility to refuel.

A thought on the timing - if you visit in September, sites are likely to be open about an hour later than from October, and in the dog days of winter once you are into December/January, it gets dark about 3.30pm and winter closing may say 4pm or dusk if earlier, so you should check the websites for CADW and other guardians of the places you want to visit.  I think the baths at Caerleon are open until 5pm all year but the other sites (barracks, amphitheatre, walls etc) are in the open air so visitable at "any reasonable time" as they say in the books, but after 4pm in November you'll be tripping over in the dark!  Chedworth villa, for example, closes altogether at the end of November.

Regards,
John
Hello John,

Thanks so much for all the information! I will definitely check out the two websites you listed. I will also take into consideration that the daylight hours will be shorter and that it will be colder. I know that up north at those times of year some places have limited hours or may be closed. Even some of the tranportation systems like buses have fewer trips or may not run. That time of year does present some challenges. Depending on weather conditions it may even make it difficult to travel, especially by bus or car...

All the best,
Thomas Guenther
Thomas Guenther
Fratre,

Just want to let you know a new situation has arised! I've developed a problem with my right eye. Went to the emergency room this morning. Prognosis is that I have either a tear in the lattice of the eye or a retinal tear. Either way it's not good! Don't know how this will play out yet, but some sort of surgery is in order. This may affect my trip as well. Will keep you all updated...

SPQR,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther
All the best with that!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Robert,

Thank you for the best wishes! Sorry I didn't get back before now. But have been to the emergency room again. After a whole battery of tests on my eyes they have concluded that it's not a retinal tear or detachment, but rather that the vitreous sac of the eye has pulled away at the back and is pulling on the retinal nerve. This has created a massive floater in the eye and the flashes of light and blurriness. They say there is nothing they can do for it. No surgery, etc. All I can do is monitor the eye for any changes - the flashes of light get worse or blind spots develope. As far as the floater...they say it may get smaller or mostly go away or may not change at all. Only time will tell, but that it could take months or even years! I sincerely hope not, because it makes it to see clearly and is quite annoying! In the light of this I will probably still be going on the trip, but it still may change some things...

SPQR,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther
all my best wishes for you get well soon
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Gunthamund,

Thank you for thinking of me. I need a whole lot of blessings right now!

Thomas

Fratre,

I have a few more questions. I am considering a day trip out of London to either the Richborough Roman Fort and Amphitheatre in Kent or to Chichester in Sussex to see the Roman Palace, etc. My questions are - Has anyone been to theses two places? If so, which one would be the better place to visit? Also does either one have a better museum? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

SPQR,
Thomas

Fratre,

Please forgive me if I make any mistakes as to posting anything or spelling, etc. right now as my eyesight is not to good at this time. Thanks for understanding. 

I have a few more questions. I am considering a day trip out of London to either the Richborough Roman Fort and Amphitheatre in Kent or to Chichester in Sussex to see the Roman Palace, etc. My questions are - Has anyone been to theses two places? If so, which one would be the better place to visit? Also does either one have a better museum? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

SPQR,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther
Salvete Omnes,

In doing research for my trip to England this December...I was planning on visiting the Roman Fortress & Baths and museum in Caerleon. Well it seems I will not be doing that, but will be going to other Roman sites instead. The reason I won't be going is because I just found out that the museum at Caerleon will be closing this September 2nd for essential roof maintenance and won't be reopening till "Autumn 2019"! Although you can still go to the fortress and amphitheatre. I thought you all may want to know this information incase anyone else here at RAT may be planning a trip to visit there within that time period. Hope this helps. 

Salve Sis,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther