Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Cesarian Legio X Equestris
Hello!
I'm currently working on my very first essay on antique history for my history studies at university, however, i somehow like to take some tough topics.
My topic is the tenth legion during the bello gallico and subsequently i also want to clarify where the legio x was before caesar got ahold of it.
Now, I haven't found anything, except something from Dando-Collins.
And from what i read on this forum about him, my intuition was absolutly right to not trust his near-historical books.

Perhaps any1 here knows anything where i could find something about the origins of the tenth legion?

Much thanks in advance.
(03-26-2018, 11:43 AM)Theyn_T Wrote: something about the origins of the tenth legion?

There have been some previous discussions of this topic, but with changing boards and broken links etc it can be a bit hard to track them down! I think these are most useful ones for addressing your query:

Origins of Caesar's 10th Legion

Confusion over Legio X

Evidence of pre-Caesar named legions?

Julius Caesar's Tenth Legion

and a bit at the end of this one:

Dando Collins 'Legions of Rome'

The general consensus of opinion seems to be that the legion was probably formed c.64BC, and taken over by Caesar in 58BC. The name 'Equestris' is not associated with the legion before the 40s BC, but may have been an unofficial nickname before that. The note in Appian that they were 'raised originally from non-Italians' (or 'foreigners') might suggest that they were not one of the regular consular legions, but were raised in the provinces from Roman citizen settlers, perhaps. Cisalpine Gaul remains the most likely place of origin.
Nathan Ross