Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange marks near Legionary fortress - anyone seen something similar?
Salve, guys!

So this is  a satellite image of Roman legionary fort and later municipum of Burnum in Croatia.

Just in the vicinity of it (some 50-100 m) this poped out. Some speculated that this is an auxiliary fort (or 2) from the earliest periods of occupation but as you can see the speculated ditches are at a completely right angle and are facing each other which is really strange...

In addition it (or they) enclose a very big area (250*116m). Geophysics have been done on that spot and you can see what they got...

Does anybody have a clue what this might be? Is it even military structure or civilian?

Thanks for answers!

" Finally, upon being asked by Tiberius why his people had taken it into their heads to revolt and to war against the Romans so long, he replied: "You Romans are to blame for this; for you send as guardians of your flocks, not dogs or shepherds, but wolves." - Cassius Dio, LVI, 16, 3
Could it be another fort?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
As you can see on the pictures it seems that in that case there are actually two forts WITH ditches between them? You do not find that strange? Also, I have not found one such example. Furthermore the mentioned rectangular shape is strange for ditches (complete 90 degrees).

Some have argued it is all together one greater fort... but it seems so strange.

They also dug smaller trenches after geophysics and the results were "nothing concrete".
" Finally, upon being asked by Tiberius why his people had taken it into their heads to revolt and to war against the Romans so long, he replied: "You Romans are to blame for this; for you send as guardians of your flocks, not dogs or shepherds, but wolves." - Cassius Dio, LVI, 16, 3
(03-06-2018, 10:30 AM)Luxion Wrote: As you can see on the pictures it seems that in that case there are actually two forts WITH ditches between them? You do not find that strange?

No, because they do not need to have existed at the same time. In fact there are plenty of examples of fort having existed at the same spot but not on top of one another, because one was long gone when the other was constructed.

Another option could be the 'training fort'.

Luxion, remember to add your real name in your signature. It's a rule.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(03-06-2018, 10:30 AM)Luka Bruketa Wrote: it seems that in that case there are actually two forts WITH ditches between them?... Furthermore the mentioned rectangular shape is strange for ditches (complete 90 degrees).

Another possibility might be that a smaller camp was enlarged or doubled in size; you can see something similar at Ardoch. Camps 2 and 3 on this plan, probably Flavian era:

[Image: 00330029.jpg]

The sharp 90-degree angle corners are quite unusual though - I have seen such things, but always in the eastern provinces, and usually dating from the later era (3rd century or so?). Forum member John1 has been looking for them in the west for some time, I think!...
Nathan Ross
Great, thanks for the answers.

They could be later, as the site exist until 7th century.

Does anyone think they could represent something civilian?
(03-09-2018, 01:28 PM)Luka Bruketa Wrote: Does anyone think they could represtn something civilian?

The marks look rather large and rather regular for a civilian enclosure of some sort, but who knows?
Nathan Ross
I wonder if it might be a bathhouse?  That would justify the size.  Was there any piping or pottery found on the site?  The other thing I thought of is maybe a sanitation or irrigation collection area, but I don't know.  It seems too big to be a temple.
Daniel DeVargas
(03-14-2018, 01:39 PM)Shield And Spear Art Wrote: I wonder if it might be a bathhouse?  That would justify the size.  Was there any piping or pottery found on the site?  The other thing I thought of is maybe a sanitation or irrigation collection area, but I don't know.  It seems too big to be a temple.

Sorry for late answer...

As far as I know, no piping has been found at the site, but nearby (100-200m away) in another compound - yes. Do you know of some similar examples of baths? Same for irrigation, if you have any examples please share!

Temple is unlikely, I agree.
Hmm yes I tend to agree, it might be a smaller fort that was doubled in size. Possibly Justinianic? Or late 4th century and then the expansion was Justinianic? The smaller forts tend to be late 4th century.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vindolanda iron ingot, with legionary marks? richsc 3 1,535 09-13-2016, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Troesmis legionary fortress mcbishop 3 1,251 03-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Legionary Fortress in Galilee D B Campbell 4 1,705 10-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs