Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman spear copy or something else?

I have a spear which after some searching appears Roman in style, however, it seems to good to be a true Roman piece. 
Any ideas as to its original place of birth or time?
I guess the long shank is what makes it look Roman, but a pilum shouldn't/doesn't have a leaf-shaped point as far as I know.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper,
Can you make Earthling's attachments visible? The five posts rule must be a nightmare (and possible deterrent?) for newcomers.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
It's only two (and I'll set it to one)! It's a pain in the butt for newcomers, I'm sure. I could show you the log of attempted and successful spam registrations if you like...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I agree that you want to keep the spam out. However, I have noticed that some newcomers' first post is a query with attachments and, of course, ordinary members can't see them. I don't know if the newcomers are told why or warned that this can happen, so that they don't get discouraged.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
There is a message when you're posting your first post. It's mostly up to mods and admins to ensure that it gets approved asap, of course, to reduce irritation.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
(07-27-2021, 08:48 AM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: I guess the long shank is what makes it look Roman, but a pilum shouldn't/doesn't have a leaf-shaped point as far as I know.

Anglo-Saxon type D2d/e and D3a? from "The Spearheads of the Anglo Saxon Settlements" M.J.Swanton.

Funny now I'm posting I can see the images and think it could easily be African it doesnt look Anglo Saxon left the above for reference.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867