Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek sandals
Hi,
I wish to develop |Greek leather sandals and other leather articles.
Searched here and there but did find shops full of boards as original Greek sandals,mainly from Greece.
I would appreciate if anyone can help me to direct me as to proceed. Is there any source where I can look at original finds etc.
Thanking all in anticipation
Ayesha
(02-14-2018, 10:21 AM)Ayesha Wrote: Hi,
I wish to develop |Greek leather sandals and other leather articles.
Searched here and there but did find shops full of boards as original Greek sandals,mainly from Greece.
I would appreciate if anyone can help me to direct me as to proceed. Is there any source where I can look at original finds etc.
Thanking all in anticipation
Ayesha

You need a date range as style can change with time, what do you mean by "Greek"? 500bc? Modern?
There is very little surviving Ancient "Greek" leather work, perhaps the best book on the subject of Ancient Greek footware is "Greek Footware and the dating of Sculpture" by K.D.Morrow. However it deals exclusively with artistic examples from sculpture...

Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Hello
Thanks for your prompt reply.
We are looking for examples of leather sandals and other leather work from 500BC to 1st AD if possible.
We are not looking for modern versions.
Thanks for reference to the book.
Ayesha.
Take a look at Matt Amt's hoplite clothing page:

https://www.larp.com/hoplite/greekclothes.html

Qui sepeliunt capita sua in terra, deos volantes non videbunt.
--Flavius FlavĀ 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Were Greek Sandals hobnailed ? MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 3 1,807 02-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS