Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anybody know further examples like this?
thanks for the quick answers, The Locality is calling "Ar Rafi'ah", the lower Plain is "Ard al Fanah", the modern Name of the main Fortress is "Khirbat al Qasab" (sometimes in old maps, also called "kasr kassam") 

I guess that this was a fortified place between 50 and 162 AD until the parthian war took place. But it is also conceivably that the place was used after this time. (maybe it was the Raphana of the Plinius's scriptures, described as the easternmost and still unidentified City of the decapolis, nearby Damaskus). It is 20mls from the Trachonitis capital Phaina, which was definitively within the Decapolis and perhaps the later base camp of this Military Units (after 165AD). (see also my other Post)
The Place is positioned along the Limes aribicus . I could also locate some earthen wall structures over 44km to the North of it along other already known limes Castles. Some old maps (1938) showing also so called "Roman trenches - or Digue Romains" in this area.  It was a strong strategic Position, because it protects some strong springs and further water ressources, and additionally it secured the way from the arabian Desert ( or for instance the parthian Seleukia-Ktesiphon) into the Roman area. This way was the shortest to the mediterranian sea along the jisr jakub Bridge North of the lake of Genezareth to the cities of tyre and acre and further to egypt.  The whole Area southeast of Damaskus was hard fought at al times. Today the Name of the District is  >>south Goutha<< and you will find many actual reports of still ongoing fights between Assad and ISIL troups in this area.

Maybe, everyone of you have additional informations about the Region.
thanks and a nice evening (sorry for my orthog.&gram. faults ;-))

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does anybody know further examples like this? - by jonas2017-1 - 02-06-2018, 04:33 PM