• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X Legion
International Army Games Russia.

[Image: image.jpg]

[Image: image.jpg]

Do someone knows what legion was that?
Fantasy legion...
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
As the previous poster said, the costumes are altogether fanciful. They seem to be wearing a very odd ''shirt''of light leather or even vinyl that half resembles a Greek tube and yoke cuirass but is far too light and full of inaccurate details -- as the pteruges, which are absurd, and what appear to be sock suspenders! Why Roman legionaries would be wearing a burlesque of fifth century B.C.E. hoplite panoply remains a mystery.

It's a pity, really, as the BIGAE or two-horse chariots are not at all bad, but why they are manned by legionaries is beyond me (the Romans DID NOT make use of war chariots). There ought to be but one charioteer in the tunic of his faction -- red, white, green, blue -- with the reins wrapped around his wrists and a knife with a curved blade (FALX) to cut himself loose in event of a disaster.
Patrick J. Gray

'' Now. Close your eyes. It's but a short step to the boat, a short pull across the river.''
''And then?''
''And then, I promise you, you'll dream a different story altogether''

From ''I, Claudius'', by J. Pulman after R. Graves.
This is not a fantasy legion.These legionaries are russian soldiers.This is the opening ceremony of International Army Games in Russia.The organizer is The Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation.Russian Defence Minister General of the Army Sergei Shoigu was in attendance.Putin was following  these games.There are no mistakes.

I think these legionaries are from what we know as the Lost Legions of Carrhae.They didn't go to China,they go to asian stepe,to what was USSR,to what is now Russia.I think there is a link between these "lost legions" and Attila the Hun.You don't go to attack Roman Empire from such distance as asian spepe without knowing who was Roman Empire,without knowing how to destroy the roman legions.Attila the Hun used the same tactics as Surena at the Battle of Carrhae, mostly fast elite horse archers.

I think the Russians tell as with these opening ceremony who they are.And I think we should investigate who the Russians are.
(01-28-2018, 05:34 PM)AK-REX Wrote: I think these legionaries are from what we know as the Lost Legions of Carrhae.They didn't go to China,they go to asian stepe,to what was USSR,to what is now Russia.

I think you should explain that. Crassus' legions were destroyed by the Parthians. How would they end up in Russia?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I ought to add from the beginning that I do not believe a word of it, but this theory appears to be a variation of a notion proposed by an eccentric Sinologist and Oxford Don, Homer H. Dubs (Shaw Professor of Chinese, 1947-59) in a paper which I cannot find, but which is referenced thus:

A Roman City in Ancient China. China Society Sinological Series 5. London, 1957.

It has been taken up by a popular history website (which, if I may say, seems rather sensationalist):
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-art...a-boy.html

Also the Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...diers.html

Even if one accepts this notion, which I do not, the representation, I am truly sorry, is utter fantasy. I do not mean to upset you, I really do not -- we all begin somewhere, and you've clearly read a good deal, more erudition is shown in your post, in fact, than some of my old classmates ever bothered to learn after fully seven years of Classics, but you must be careful what you read. There is a great deal of misleading information out there, and the Internet propagates it rapidly.

If you would allow me, I should like to direct you to a respectable reenactment group who will be delighted to help you, or to the military experts on the forum -- a good general history of Rome (I cut my teeth on an old work by M. Cary in my aunt's house, I have it still somewhere [I gave the title wrongly as ''A Tutorial History of Rome'' -- this is a muddle. I learnt Latin from the ''Tutorial Latin Grammar'' of Hayes and Masom, happy days] is the best start, in your native tongue or one you know well. The Russian government has no monopoly on historical accuracy, no more than the British or the Taiwanese or any other. Public funding is no guarantor of accuracy -- I might direct you to the decidedly dubious Celt and Roman on the BBC's illustrated history of Britain dealt with in ''Off Topic'' -- many children will take that as absolute truth but I am afraid it isn't.

All the very best,
May the gods love and keep you well,
PG
Patrick J. Gray

'' Now. Close your eyes. It's but a short step to the boat, a short pull across the river.''
''And then?''
''And then, I promise you, you'll dream a different story altogether''

From ''I, Claudius'', by J. Pulman after R. Graves.