Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nobiliy of Rome
Does anyone know what happen to the noble families of Rome from the time of Julius Ceasar?<br>
<br>
Were these families all killed off during the political purges of the First Century AD? <p></p><i></i>
Surely not all of them. A lot of the Republican nobility died out (also because of family policies that concentrated wealth in the hands of few heirs, wiping out whole family branches with the unexpected death of a single individual). However, there were some who could trace their family to very early days even in the 2nd century. IIRC the Caecilii Metelli and some of the Cornelii were even fairly prominent. However, it seems that political careers were problematic for them as they were potential challengers to the emperors in a way that 'new' families were not. <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Carlton, thanks for your reply.<br>
<br>
I have been reading a book on the history of the City of Rome from its ancient origins through the 1950's AD, titled "Rome, The Biography of a City", by Christopher Hibbert.<br>
<br>
It appears that by the time of the Gothic Wars in Italy during the 6th Century AD, Rome's population had been reduced to a mere 30,000 people. Did these families survive into the middle ages, or were they supplanted by other newly arrived families?<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
By the time of Justinian, most senatorial families - if they survived - had long moved out of Rome and settled on their estates or in provincial town. In France, many senatorial families managed to turn their sons to episcopal careers. I doubt, however, that any of them were still direct linear descendants of the great Republican families. <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach