Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Britannia'
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio...-tv-series

My mother showed me the entry for this programme in the ''Television Times'', and I came upon this article. I am glad no-one, least of all the writer, seems to be taking this drivel seriously, but it abuses historical names and events (poor Aulus Plautius looks like a third-rate barbarian, the Celts are beneath contempt) and should be, as with most films and television productions, very clearly branded as rot.

Why bother when it is so plainly ludicrous? I fear, however, that historical ignorance is, unlike the schoolmaster, abroad in the land -- I distinctly remember hearing from my dear mother that not one of her present colleagues under the age of forty (she is sixty-one), in a respectable nursing-home, and well versed in the materia medica, recognised the date 1066 when chosen as the door-password. All the ladies of her age knew a good deal about the Conquest. It really is terribly sad.
Patrick J. Gray

'' Now. Close your eyes. It's but a short step to the boat, a short pull across the river.''
''And then?''
''And then, I promise you, you'll dream a different story altogether''

From ''I, Claudius'', by J. Pulman after R. Graves.
This one's been kicking around for years now - I asked about it back in 2015.

It seems to have been one of those blighted dramas that's been in script or development hell for years, and by the look of the finished article I'm not surprised!

I think Jez Butterworth only got involved on the strict proviso that he could ignore history altogether, and concentrate on fantasy druids dressed as mummys, smoking chillums at Stonehenge.

It also follows the rule of contemporary historical TV drama that everything set before the invention of the steam engine must resemble Game of Thrones.
I've never seen ''Game of Thrones'' but Britannia definitely belongs to the ''Dungeons and Dragons' Historical'' style that produced such horrors as ''Vikings'' and the intolerably bad ''300''. There ought to be a society for the prevention of cruelty to historians!
Patrick J. Gray

'' Now. Close your eyes. It's but a short step to the boat, a short pull across the river.''
''And then?''
''And then, I promise you, you'll dream a different story altogether''

From ''I, Claudius'', by J. Pulman after R. Graves.