Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boulearch
Ave, civitas,

I am writing a novel series set during the later Roman Empire.  Somewhere in my research I found the words, boule, boulearch, and bouleterion, all referring to governorship of Greek cities.

Now, for the first time I had some reader question the word boulearch.

I have looked, and looked, and I'll be damned if I can find where I plucked those words from.

Google helps with boule and bouleterion, but not boulearch (the senior council member), or have I got this all screwed up?

Thank you in advance.
Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Where did you find those words? Maybe a source is the problem?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hmmm,

Better recheck my sources.

Thank you.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Yes, I don't think 'bouletarch' is a genuine term. The boule was the council, the bouletai were the councillors and the bouleterion was the council building.

The head of the boule in the Greek period was the epistates. In the later period the chief magistrate of the city was named the strategos. Dura Europos had a strategos kai epistates heading both the city and the boule in the 2nd century.

In the later Roman period the latin titles of defensor and curator seem to have been superimposed onto the Greek-style boule structure in at least some of the eastern cities. Whether they replaced or doubled the older strategos kai epistates is unclear, I think.
Nathan Ross
Nathan,

Thanks for our reply. Okay, I give up.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Were you thinking of φύλαρχος phylarchos "leader of a tribe"? Its a Classical word but scholarly Greeks liked reviving old words.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
(08-10-2021, 04:10 PM)Sean Manning Wrote: Were you thinking of φύλαρχος phylarchos "leader of a tribe"?  Its a Classical word but scholarly Greeks liked reviving old words.

Sir,

In my earlier drafts of my novel I showed a Roman Catholic priest (who did his "final exam" in ancient Greek).  the words I was unsure about.  He was the one who corrected my pronunciation of Boulearch, so I know the word existed.  I just cannot find the book I found it in.  Perhaps it was an inter-library loan.

Thanks again for your reply.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

(08-10-2021, 08:49 PM)Lothia Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 04:10 PM)Sean Manning Wrote: Were you thinking of φύλαρχος phylarchos "leader of a tribe"?  Its a Classical word but scholarly Greeks liked reviving old words.

Sir,

In my earlier drafts of my novel I showed a Roman Catholic priest (who did his "final exam" in ancient Greek).  the words I was unsure about.  He was the one who corrected my pronunciation of Boulearch, so I know the word existed.  I just cannot find the book I found it in.  Perhaps it was an inter-library loan.

Thanks again for your reply.
βούλαρχος appears in the dictionary LSJ and in some DuckDuckGo results for modern Greek. Apparently it means something like "president of the senate" or "chief councilor" in Modern Greek.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
(08-11-2021, 05:03 AM)Sean Manning Wrote: βούλαρχος appears in the dictionary LSJ and in some DuckDuckGo results for modern Greek.

Aha! Yes, the change in spelling yields results... Boularch, or boularchos, is the correct word. Mostly known in Asia Minor, it seems, but here's at least one Roman-era citation:

Honorary inscription, dated by boularch Lucius Cornelius Philoserapis
Nathan Ross
Nathan,

Oh, great. I am so glad you found that. I can stop cutting myself now.
AKA Tom Chelmowski