Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor?
(12-12-2017, 02:30 PM)Creon01 Wrote: Right, I mean why would that reputable 19th century author apply that information specifically to the ancients?

Wearing the Cloak is an excellent book by the way and everyone should have a copy.
It seems that most of these scholars thought that linen armour was 'a single thing' and if they found one way of making it, that was the way it was made everywhere. Whereas we know of at least three kinds: the kind from many layers stitched together, the kind stuffed with rags or raw cotton, and the twined kind. The kind stiffened with salt and vinegar might be a fourth, but I would like a better source, because this could be the equivalent of "Gaulish swords are only good for one cut and then they bend" or "those Japs fly tin cans and are blind in the dark."
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? - by Sean Manning - 12-13-2017, 08:03 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A History of the Idea of Glued Linen Armour Sean Manning 53 5,146 10-29-2021, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book rocktupac 151 59,349 09-30-2016, 07:52 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Glued Linen Armour- a simple test Matt Lukes 239 59,788 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias