Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real Deal Spolas
Tomorrow will be a big working day; at least I will be able to drill holes on yoke in morning (art morning at library I host where I can make noise); as I am in an apartment now and not a house, I should keep noise down. , and after work maybe I'll prepare hide for top and bottom painted tooled edging.

Qui sepeliunt capita sua in terra, deos volantes non videbunt.
--Flavius Flav 
Well ended up helping other folks with their art! Well, maybe after work today, certainly tomorrow.

--Flavius Flav 
Have put some edging on; the stitching at sides will be contonuous line once the scale panel is sewn on.

[Image: pyV7kfw.jpg]

Oh, also cut goat liner for inside of yoke. visible in pic.

--Flavius Flav 
One thing I've noticed that is pretty amazing, is that the miixture of poppy oil, stand oil and beeswax has sunk into the hide and made it INCREDIBLY strong! And also seems to be bleaching hide a bit. The poppy and stand are drying oils used in oil painting, and the beeswax stops things becoming brittle, but I had not not anticipated this effect. The bottom thicker hide layer of the yoke has become so tough that I can't bend it! Sure it will flex, but there is no way I could ever crease it --it is like very tough plastic. I've been using the hide scale armour at the Met as a model for treatments; it has beeswax left on scales.

--Flavius Flav 
Excellent work and of course the insights into what the processes do, what the armour feels like, are remarkable and are one of the greatest boons of historical reconstruction.
Patrick J. Gray

'' Now. Close your eyes. It's but a short step to the boat, a short pull across the river.''
''And then?''
''And then, I promise you, you'll dream a different story altogether''

From ''I, Claudius'', by J. Pulman after R. Graves.
Thank you! I'm glad you are liking it. There are little gems of discovery that occur when making experimental reproductions, but I haven't made many. More to come, though! I'm going to slack off in front of tube for a while. Hopefully get more done tomorrow. Happy Holidays!

--Flavius Flav 
I've got the hide for the upper edging by the neck tooled and drying; hopefully I will get it stitched on tonight --we'll see. Saturday I am planning on coming in early to try and get a lot done before folks show up for art group. We'll see!!

--Flavius Flav 
Have the piece of hide done for top edging.  I think I will sew it down before painting it.  I can prepare piece for bottom and finish goat leather edging until Saturday when I have place to use drill.

[Image: YX6vEzl.jpg]

--Flavius Flav 
Once again a very faithful rendering of the original -- a project that deserves close attention.
Patrick J. Gray

'' Now. Close your eyes. It's but a short step to the boat, a short pull across the river.''
''And then?''

(12-29-2017, 01:28 PM)Clavdivs Wrote: Once again a very faithful rendering of the original -- a project that deserves close attention.

Thanks!  Of course, until we find some reaonable remains, or they get dug up out of the museum storeroom somewhere, all I can claim to be constructing is a simulacrum of the armour depicted.  Still, if it can be done, it can push the probability of the authenticity envelope a bit.  It's not going to stop me from prancing around in it though!  Smile

--Flavius Flav 
(12-29-2017, 03:52 PM)Feinman Wrote:
(12-29-2017, 01:28 PM)Clavdivs Wrote: Once again a very faithful rendering of the original -- a project that deserves close attention.

Thanks!  Of course, until we find some reaonable remains, or they get dug up out of the museum storeroom somewhere, all I can claim to be constructing is a simulacrum of the armour depicted.  Still, if it can be done, it can push the probability of the authenticity envelope a bit.  It's not going to stop me from prancing around in it though!  Smile

I think you are being slightly harsh -- you can claim to be constructing a facsimile of the conception of a spolas by a contemporary artist, and a fine one at that -- as much evidence as the eminent L. Wilson had for her reconstructions of the toga.  

Incidentally, what do you make of the seemingly half-depicted pattern of rectangles  on the left-side panel of the spolas? A blunder by the painter, perhaps, as they are very lightly drawn and not continued?
Patrick J. Gray

''And then?''

I actually think that those are hide scales --more rectangular to retain stiffness of the panel..

--Flavius Flav 
Thank you -- it will be most interesting to see the reconstruction.
Patrick J. Gray

''And then?''

Okay, top painted hide edging is sewn on with two rows of stitching that go through entire breastplate.

[Image: xiFw3Dm.jpg]

--Flavius Flav 
Something I just noticed. The Gorgon face as are many depicted, is stretched out, as if the height x width ratio was altered from usual proportions, and other than to encompass toothy grin, no one knows why. But, there is some anamorphosis going on here, intentional or not. Notice how the gorgon head seems to appear head on in the photo above, even though it is being viewed from acute perspective? Perhaps an apatropaic mechanism? Perhaps unintentional. Yet Greeks knew about perspective distortion, using entasis and lines in temples that worked against fish-eye distortion.

--Flavius Flav