Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real Deal Spolas
Haven't had chance to do any more work on the spolas; hopefully tomorrow, certainly over weekend! Last weekend had to give a UFO presentation.

Qui sepeliunt capita sua in terra, deos volantes non videbunt.
--Flavius Flav 
Started painting ptyreges, some sections should be done tomorrow! I will post pics then. What could be more Christmassy than Greek armour? Except for maybe UFOs.. Right?

--Flavius Flav 
Taking a bit longer than anticipated.  These are the two layers for the front. The lower layer in the pic is all done and drying now; the layer shiwn above isn't as far along:

--Flavius Flav 
Slow progress. I want to make sure the ptyreges are double-oiled and cured before attaching them, but so far so good!

--Flavius Flav 
Got sucked into buying rocks on eBay.. Back to it! The ptyreges are turning out very well. Pics when mofe is accomplished.

--Flavius Flav 
(01-12-2020, 03:31 PM)Feinman Wrote: Got sucked into buying rocks on eBay..  Back to it!  The ptyreges are turning out very well.  Pics when mofe is accomplished.
How is the progress coming?
Connor 
(02-29-2020, 08:43 PM)rx7fc Wrote:
(01-12-2020, 03:31 PM)Feinman Wrote: Got sucked into buying rocks on eBay..  Back to it!  The ptyreges are turning out very well.  Pics when more is accomplished.
Been preoccupied with other stuff again and stuff that comes up in life. I'll be back to being able to use vacation time again pretty soon, too, so we'll see. I don't see or foresee any problems with it, so that's good, as the whole thing is basically an experiment.

--Flavius Flav 
(03-01-2020, 10:47 PM)Feinman Wrote:
(02-29-2020, 08:43 PM)rx7fc Wrote:
(01-12-2020, 03:31 PM)Feinman Wrote: Got sucked into buying rocks on eBay..  Back to it!  The ptyreges are turning out very well.  Pics when more is accomplished.
Been preoccupied with other stuff again and stuff that comes up in life.  I'll be back to being able to use vacation time again pretty soon, too, so we'll see.  I don't see or foresee any problems with it, so that's good, as the whole thing is basically an experiment.
I just purchased some 12 oz veg tanned leather that I will start making my spolas from. I will start a thread soon!
Connor 
Great! I will look forward to it.

--Flavius Flav 
What is the best way to make my veg tanned leather white? I see you mentioned milk paint. Is that all I need to make it white?
Connor 
(03-04-2020, 05:12 PM)rx7fc Wrote: What is the best way to make my veg tanned leather white? I see you mentioned milk paint. Is that all I need to make it white?

Feinman has more detailed instructions a couple pages back, in post #150.  It's more involved than just slapping paint on, but I very much doubt plain milk paint by itself would work.

If historical plausiblity isn't a priority, acrylic-based leather paint would probably hold up best.  Not that I want to encourage that kind of thing.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Dan is right. The way I did it was pretty complicated. I would just make sure that you use dilute rabbit skin glue (like one part gelled glue to about eight or nine parts water with a very small amount of alum added (maybe 1/4 teaspoon to a cup). Both of these additives will cause the milk paint to bind better to the leather. Then when you paint on the milk paint (not very easy), you have to do it in washes and then stop when it begins to streak! It will become more opaque when it dries. Then you can add another coat. I would not build it up much at all (it will crack when bent if too thick) --and it will still look kind of golden --then I would switch to a mixture of titanium white powder (white lead substitute) mixed well into a mixture of linseed oil mixed with beeswax (heat wax in double boiler, add oil off burner, about 3 parts oil to one part beeswax). Add a lot of Titanium White powder, use a palette knife. Rub the mixture into the painted leather, let dry. Later use Dubbin as a final coat, can add Titanium White to it too. I warn any who would try this ahead of time that it is DIFFICULT! Supplies are expensive, so do a LOT of tests first... If you want to paint decoration --you can wet the leather and use a dried out ballpoint or stylus to transfer the design, and then tape it off with painters' tape. It's not easy.

--Flavius Flav 
Has anyone tried bleach? Stale urine has a high ammonia content.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
From what I've read, including material from the footwear industry, making leather white almost always involves covering up its color. Also, kaolin clay makes and appearance in pottery at the same time white spolioi are starting to be depicted; it, along with marble powder are ingredients in the powdered milk paint that is available. Looking at pigments and cements used on Greek and Roman statuary that was meant to be exposed to the elements, those ingredients and beeswax are also used, along with white lead. White lead is described as an excellent ingredient for whitening leather and also helps to make it waterproof; It's also poisonous, thus the use of the titanium dioxide powder as a substitute. To make a spolas as I am doing it, you have to use the powdered milk paint, btw.

--Flavius Flav 
Would gesso be a good way to make he leather white?
Connor