Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real Deal Spolas
(09-18-2019, 06:12 PM)Damianus Albus Wrote: May I ask how thick it is? How many layers of leather? Or is it one very thick leather? Sorry for not going through 12 pages, where surely there's answer to my question Big Grin
Hi Damianus,
It's 12 oz leather, but it will be two layers of that for the "backplate" and "breastplate"  according to the depictions the armour has scales at the sides --so two layers at the sides too, made up by the scales!

Qui sepeliunt capita sua in terra, deos volantes non videbunt.
--Flavius Flav 
(09-18-2019, 06:55 PM)Feinman Wrote:
(09-18-2019, 06:12 PM)Damianus Albus Wrote: May I ask how thick it is? How many layers of leather? Or is it one very thick leather? Sorry for not going through 12 pages, where surely there's answer to my question Big Grin
Hi Damianus,
It's 12 oz leather, but it will be two layers of that for the "backplate" and "breastplate"  according to the depictions the armour has scales at the sides --so two layers at the sides too, made up by the scales!
Have some time this afternoon!  I'll try and finish painting front and post pics in 4 or 5 hours.

--Flavius Flav 
Looking good. You must be getting pretty good at painting gorgons by now Tongue
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(09-23-2019, 11:30 PM)Dan Howard Wrote: Looking good. You must be getting pretty good at painting gorgons by now Tongue

It's true! I noticed I wasn't struggling to remember how to paint them today. Nasty beasties, though. Okay, back to it.

--Flavius Flav 
Okay, gorgon done!  taking break for rest of evening. I am really enjoying this project!
One the rest of the decoration is painted on, I'll polish the white parts and add the final oil wax coat. The coat also acts as a varnidh, darkening blues and reds and bringing out color.

--Flavius Flav 
I should be able to finish the decoration tomorrow and put the oil / wax on it the next day. I need to cut out the second layers and buy some leather for edging and more leather for the ptyreges, too.

--Flavius Flav 
(09-27-2019, 02:16 AM)Feinman Wrote: I should be able to finish the decoration tomorrow and put the oil / wax on it the next day. I need to cut out the second layers and buy some leather for edging and more leather for the ptyreges, too.
Too tired to get anything done last night, so might have to wait until Sunday morning, my weekend.  Not fun or wise to mess with stuff when yr tired. Confused

--Flavius Flav 
(09-28-2019, 12:59 PM)Feinman Wrote:
(09-27-2019, 02:16 AM)Feinman Wrote: I should be able to finish the decoration tomorrow and put the oil / wax on it the next day. I need to cut out the second layers and buy some leather for edging and more leather for the ptyreges, too.
Too tired to get anything done last night, so might have to wait until Sunday morning, my weekend.  Not fun or wise to mess with stuff when yr tired. Confused
Okay!  Pics later today.

--Flavius Flav 
Front decoration done, and oil and wax applied, so this piece is done.

--Flavius Flav 
(09-30-2019, 05:36 AM)Feinman Wrote: Front decoration done, and oil and wax applied, so this piece is done.

Excellent work looks real nice Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(09-30-2019, 08:49 AM)Crispianus Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 05:36 AM)Feinman Wrote: Front decoration done, and oil and wax applied, so this piece is done.

Excellent work looks real nice Wink
Thanks, Ivor!   Big Grin
I'm forced now to switch gears and work on a different project for a few days, but it will give everything time to cure a bit more, then back at it!

--Flavius Flav 
I don't have much time during the week to work on stuff now, as my schedule changes this time of year.  I have to finish a portrait this weekend --hopefully on Sunday, then Monday I should get some work in on spolas, and future weekends are all free for it.  I need to make the scales next and then buy goat leather at next paycheck!  More soon.

--Flavius Flav 
(10-03-2019, 03:05 PM)Feinman Wrote: I don't have much time during the week to work on stuff now, as my schedule changes this time of year.  I have to finish a portrait this weekend --hopefully on Sunday, then Monday I should get some work in on spolas, and future weekends are all free for it.  I need to make the scales next and then buy goat leather at next paycheck!  More soon.
I've ordered some goat leather and cut out the second layers for front and back sections, and tomorrow it's scale time. Progress pics tomorrow, late.

--Flavius Flav 
(10-14-2019, 04:01 AM)Feinman Wrote:
(10-03-2019, 03:05 PM)Feinman Wrote: I don't have much time during the week to work on stuff now, as my schedule changes this time of year.  I have to finish a portrait this weekend --hopefully on Sunday, then Monday I should get some work in on spolas, and future weekends are all free for it.  I need to make the scales next and then buy goat leather at next paycheck!  More soon.
I've ordered some goat leather and cut out the second layers for front and back sections, and tomorrow it's scale time.  Progress pics tomorrow, late.
pics tomorrow, have headache this evening.

--Flavius Flav 
Explanations for these pics later.  those are the second inside layers for front and back; they will be trimmed more at bottom for ptyrege layers to attach.  Some scale blanks cut.

--Flavius Flav