Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CHLAMYS
Hello again! I have a very fine piece of wool fabric that I would like to use as a chlamys, but it's got a woven check in it. It's two colors a light blue and a medium blue. The checks are rather large, but I'm not sure if a woven pattern like this would have been used in the Hellenic culture.  Can anyone advise me, weather I can use this or I should buy another peice of soild color wool. Even though I'm located in Georgia in the USA and it gets hot, my fall events are still cool enough to warrant the use of a chlamys.
I would say solid colored wool would be better, I have never seen depictions of a checked chlamys.
Do you have a picture of the fabric?
Patrick D.
(08-21-2017, 08:26 PM)etrusker86 Wrote: I would say solid colored wool would be better, I have never seen depictions of a checked chlamys.
Do you have a picture of the fabric?

I had to put it as an attachement sorry. but yes I do.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ok, I realy think you are better of with another fabric, this just looks like a modern blanket.
Patrick D.
(08-21-2017, 11:21 PM)etrusker86 Wrote: Ok, I realy think you are better of with another fabric, this just looks like a modern blanket.

Thanks, I'm going to look to see if I can find some good wool. I'm looking for a light blue.
Maybe ask some local reenactment group, from where they are getting their fabrics.
Patrick D.
(08-22-2017, 06:47 AM)etrusker86 Wrote: Maybe ask some local reenactment group, from where they are getting their fabrics.

I'm in a waste land around Atlanta for reenactment groups. Legio XI is around here, and some american Civil war. I normaly order from Dorr Mill Wool shop but I was looking for something a little thicker then what they normaly have.
(08-23-2017, 11:09 AM)Seth Rainey Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 06:47 AM)etrusker86 Wrote: Maybe ask some local reenactment group, from where they are getting their fabrics.

I'm in a waste land around Atlanta for reenactment groups. Legio XI is around here, and some american Civil war. I normaly order from Dorr Mill Wool shop but I was looking for something a little thicker then what they normaly have.

I see. Ok I don't know any stores in the US, but maybe the Legio XI can help you.
Patrick D.
(08-23-2017, 02:58 PM)etrusker86 Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 11:09 AM)Seth Rainey Wrote:

I see. Ok I don't know any stores in the US, but maybe the Legio XI can help you.

Thanks!