Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAUE II depictions after 500 BC?
As we all know the basic design of the NAUE II sword was used for a very long time, from the Bronze Age into the Iron Age with the blades transitioning from bronze to iron of course.

I'm looking for any pottery depictions of a NAUE II type sword on Greek pottery AFTER 500 BC. Just Greek please.

Below is a piece in the Louvre that appears to depict a NAUE II in Red Figure (very rare) although the depiction of the sword guard is a bit off. It's dated to 510 BC, but could be later as the attributed painter lived until 475 BC.

[Image: 35874906211_62611c697c.jpg]

[Image: 35618911170_931a3935a4_n.jpg]

A quick Google search yields many NAUE II depictions such as these, but these Black Figure examples are all before 500 BC.

[Image: 35926814536_5ebb511587_n.jpg]

[Image: 35581380940_95f6319981_n.jpg]

[Image: 35158231463_ccee05a8dd_n.jpg]
Joe Balmos
You can't determine sword or armour types by looking at crude illustrations.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(07-18-2017, 11:37 PM)Dan Howard Wrote: You can't determine sword or armour types by looking at crude illustrations.
Sure you can Dan, we do it all the time at all levels of knowledge. If we ignored Greek pottery depictions, most of which are generally crude as most were made as usable pieces of pottery after all not as objects d'art, our awareness would be significantly less than what it is now.

All the depictions in Black Figure are obviously NAUE II types swords with the Red Figure less obvious.

Now, I don't say they are photographic at all and we need to understand the historical contexts to properly interpret what we see, but they are without a doubt quite useful. 

I also did not ask if we can determine for certain what we are seeing, you are answering a question unasked..."I'm looking for any pottery depictions of a NAUE II type sword on Greek pottery AFTER 500 BC. Just Greek please."
Joe Balmos
There are some extant examples of iron NAUE II that date to the 6th century. If there are any that are dated after 500bc I don't know...
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I've been quite surprised how many depictions are available of these swords, not really a sword type associated with the Greeks of this time period at all and not always in scenes depicting Bronze Age subjects.
Joe Balmos

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study of Bronze Age copper-based Naue II swords Ioannis 6 2,867 11-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Ioannis