Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tricensimae
Ave Civitas,

I have a three (right now) questions about Xanten.

1.  When was Xanten (Tricensimae) abandoned by Rome?
2.  Was Xanten within the limits of the land granted to the Frankish Laeti?
3.  Is there a chronological list of units stationed at Tricensimae?

And, where can I find more information about Tricansimae (either on-line or in text books)

Again, thank you guys in advance.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Well the Salian Franks were first granted land in the region North of Xanten, if I recall correctly, in 353.

By the time of Chlodio Xanten was probably in and out of Frankish hands. Cologne was captured on occasion in the 5th century but they couldn't actually hold the city until after the death of Aetius.
(07-05-2017, 04:10 PM)Lothia Wrote: where can I find more information about Tricansimae

There's not much, I'm afraid. The reduced wall circuit is usually dated to Diocletian or Constantine, but could have been late 3rd century. It was apparently abandoned or captured some time in the mid 4th, and then recovered and rebuilt by Julian (according to Ammianus) c.AD359. I would guess Valentinian continued occupation, with his interest in Rhine fortifications. But beyond that all is mystery...

You may find this thread interesting, giving some partial information on a late fortification in a corner of the circuit. The date appears to be a matter of speculation though.
Nathan Ross
Thank you both for your replies. Interesting links also.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)