Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AD455 - the fall of the Roman west?
(05-17-2017, 11:17 PM)FlavivsĀ Aetivs Wrote: it was a testament to Aetius' ability that after his death it only took 22 years for the Empire to collapse.

Or less than ten months, if you follow my theory above! [Image: wink.png]

(05-17-2017, 11:17 PM)FlavivsĀ Aetivs Wrote: All nations rely on leadership.

That's the general assumption. The 'strong man' theory of history would suggest that without Stilicho, Aetius and Ricimer the empire would perhaps have fallen a lot sooner. I'm not so sure though - doesn't it depend on who's doing the leading?

The rise of the magister utriusque militiae centralised a dangerous amount of military - and also civil - power in the hands of a man who was not the emperor. You could argue that this destabilised imperial authority. If the emperors tried to rein in their overmighty generals they risked mutiny, and when they killed them they effectively chopped off the head of their own armies.

With the magister dead, and so many of the army commanders, as his appointees, deposed or under suspicion, military morale and discipline was bound to suffer; Rome's enemies could take advantage of this. No surprise, perhaps, that the death of Stilicho was followed by the sack of Rome by the Goths, and the death of Aetius by the Vandal sack.

The earlier practice of using several magistri would not have this effect - as far as I know, single supreme magistri were not appointed in the east either.

So could we say that the power of the magistri utriusque militiae in the west, rather than holding the empire together, might rather have contributed to its fall?
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
RE: AD455 - the fall of the Roman west? - by Nathan Ross - 05-18-2017, 12:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late roman army (west) liodari 15 3,412 03-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Urselius
  Whatever became of the Roman Army in the West MarcellusCCLXXV 32 6,723 07-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Chariovalda
  5th Century West Roman / East Roman Armour SvenLittkowski 8 5,804 08-21-2008, 01:39 AM
Last Post: SvenLittkowski