Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AD455 - the fall of the Roman west?
(05-10-2017, 12:09 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: the soldiers and federates along the frontiers would do their jobs without knowledge of the person who actually ruled over them.

Yes - like that unfortunate garrison in the Life of Saint Severinus, hanging about on the Danube wondering why they hadn't been paid in ages!

(05-10-2017, 12:09 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: It was a tough fabric to break, so to speak. The real break would be when some folks realise that there won't be any suppot from Italy anymore.

It seems as if what you're talking about here is a sort of cultural idea of Romanness, rather than the western empire as a political entity. Undoubtably people continued to feel Roman, and behave in a Roman way, following Roman political and cultural forms, long after the empire was a dead letter in the west.

But I think, as I said above, that what I'm arguing for here is a symbolic 'fall' - symbolism, particularly following Diocletian and Constantine, was an extremely important aspect of imperial power and authority: the godlike emperor, addressed always in terms of sycophantic flattery, with his face on the coins and his name on the laws, reflecting in his awesome majesty the divine order of the universe...

When that symbolic power and authority was gone, real political power went with it. The murder of two emperors in quick succession, coupled with the sack of Rome and the humbling of the aristocracy, would seem to represent a very clear terminus for that symbolic power, and the authority and respect that it implied.
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
RE: AD455 - the fall of the Roman west? - by Nathan Ross - 05-11-2017, 01:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late roman army (west) liodari 15 3,376 03-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Urselius
  Whatever became of the Roman Army in the West MarcellusCCLXXV 32 6,637 07-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Chariovalda
  5th Century West Roman / East Roman Armour SvenLittkowski 8 5,750 08-21-2008, 01:39 AM
Last Post: SvenLittkowski