Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AD455 - the fall of the Roman west?
(05-09-2017, 07:47 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 07:01 PM)Simplex Wrote: There is more than a slight probability that the Rhine-frontier was still maintained up to then.

Hmm, interesting - but maintained by whom? Surely not by the emperors in Rome or Ravenna? I could well imagine that the western successor states would want to keep up the Rhine defences - and the material record of their occupation would be scarcely different to that of a late 'Roman' one, I would think.
The Empire was of course more than the rulers in their respective capitals. Even without an Emperor in Rome or Ravenna, the 'local nobles' could maintain some form of defense (they would have to anyway), and the soldiers and federates along the frontiers would do their jobs without knowledge of the person who actually ruled over them. There had been breakdowns before, even for years sometimes, but rescuing armies had always been sent their way eventually. Frankish commanders and Gaulish duces did not know any better - the population as not expecting any different. It was a tough fabric to break, so to speak. The real break would be when some folks realise that there won't be any suppot from Italy anymore.

With a bit more luck and without that damning East-West conflict I firmly believe the West could have ben held somehow. It took about 60 years to wear it down.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
RE: AD455 - the fall of the Roman west? - by Robert Vermaat - 05-10-2017, 12:09 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late roman army (west) liodari 15 3,377 03-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Urselius
  Whatever became of the Roman Army in the West MarcellusCCLXXV 32 6,639 07-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Chariovalda
  5th Century West Roman / East Roman Armour SvenLittkowski 8 5,750 08-21-2008, 01:39 AM
Last Post: SvenLittkowski