Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AD455 - the fall of the Roman west?
(05-09-2017, 07:01 PM)Simplex Wrote: am I missing something essential ??

I think the murder of Petronius Maxinus very soon after Valentinian, and the sack by the Vandals only a few days later, were pretty pivotal.

(05-09-2017, 07:01 PM)Simplex Wrote: There is more than a slight probability that the Rhine-frontier was still maintained up to then.

Hmm, interesting - but maintained by whom? Surely not by the emperors in Rome or Ravenna? I could well imagine that the western successor states would want to keep up the Rhine defences - and the material record of their occupation would be scarcely different to that of a late 'Roman' one, I would think.

But you're quite right - as I say, the empire 'fell' by stages, rather than at a single moment.

I realise that what I'm arguing for here is a sort of symbolic end (coupled with a very violent and dramatic set of successive incidents!) - the murders of Flavius Aetius (representative of the army) followed by Valentinian (representative of the imperial household) and then Petronius (representative of the great families of the senatorial aristocracy) - killed by the emperor, the soldiers and the Roman mob respectively - and followed by the 'death' of the city at the hands of the barbarians, seem to represent a quite conclusive demolition of the three props that had supported imperial power for centuries.
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
RE: AD455 - the fall of the Roman west? - by Nathan Ross - 05-09-2017, 07:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late roman army (west) liodari 15 3,378 03-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Urselius
  Whatever became of the Roman Army in the West MarcellusCCLXXV 32 6,639 07-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Chariovalda
  5th Century West Roman / East Roman Armour SvenLittkowski 8 5,750 08-21-2008, 01:39 AM
Last Post: SvenLittkowski