Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classes of inns and eateries
Apparently there is no exact definition of caupona and taverna, but here are some accepted categories, though the lines are blurred. These are from John DeFelice's "Roman Hospitality":<br>
<br>
Hospitia, stabula, tabernae and popinae are the general categories.<br>
<br>
Hospitia offer rooms to rent, and food and drink, like a hotel<br>
A caupona is a lower class of hospitia, more like an inn.<br>
<br>
Stabula are hospitia with stables.<br>
<br>
Tabernae offer simple foods and drink<br>
A thermopolium is a taberna specializing in warm food and drink.<br>
<br>
Popinae offer sit down food and drink <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I thought that perhaps mansio could be added to the list, but am again stuck for a definition.<br>
I seem to have got a vague idea from somewhere that this was a type of inn used by officials on government business? <p></p><i></i>
This is what the Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome by L. and R. Adkins says about Mansiones:<br>
<br>
"Road or posting stations (mansiones) were established along main roads at regular intervals, and some were based in towns...Mansiones (sing. Mansio) were overnight stops and were on average 32 to 48 km apart; they offered fresh animals (horses, oxen and mules) and had overnight rooms and bathing establishments." They do seem to have been established mainly for official couriiers etc.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p></p><i></i>
Source: T. Kleberg "In den wirtshausern und weinstuben des antiken Rom" Darmstad 1966<br>
<br>
Hospitium: (Hotel) Pompei ; "Hospitium hic locatur. Triclinium cum tribus lectis et comm(odis omnibus?) . Here is a hotel for rent. A triclinium with 3 beds and all comfort.<br>
<br>
This was a type of hotel with a dinningroom and bedrooms for strangers in town.<br>
This type was also known as "stabulum" to indicate that travelers could park there horses or mules etc. there.<br>
This type was found in the direct area of the entrances of the town of Pompei.<br>
<br>
Popina: Restaurant<br>
Taberna: Winehouse (bar)<br>
But often the popina also included a taberna.<br>
We also find the names "taberna vinaria" and "thermopolium"<br>
<br>
They were located all over town. But there are concentrations<br>
nearby the citygates and the forum.<br>
<br>
Restaurants and bars seem to be abcent in the better, aristocratic parts of town.<br>
<br>
Kleberg mentions Satire V of Horace , wich informs us of a whole series of hotels of sorts along the Via Appia.<br>
<br>
He also states that the names of places on the Tabula Peuteringa are (also) those of hotels , restaurants and bars along the main roads.<br>
<br>
Mansio: A statehotel to rest the horses and men of the state<br>
postal services<br>
<br>
Mutationes: Restaurant to change horses of the state postal services.<br>
<br>
This German book is very interesting to compare with other sources. It also discusses the legal position of hotelowners and barkeepers. It isn't good. You are as low as a pimp. Without any Roman civilian rights.<br>
<br>
This book may shed also a light on the topic of Roman women.<br>
<br>
Hope you can do something with it.<br>
<br>
Gaivs<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>